A few months ago, I decided it was about time I find a chair for my desk (what good, really, is a desk without a chair?). And was lucky enough to find this beauty at my local Goodwill for $7.99(!):
|Icky, green vinyl, but great bones.|
|Look at this awesome back! I'm sure it has an actual name... |
Do you know what it is called?
I had fabric I had also purchased at Goodwill about a year earlier and this seemed like the perfect project to use it on.
When it came down to the technical part of reupholstering the chair, I really had no idea what I was doing. Except for seeing some shows on TLC and HGTV about recovering chair seats, I was just making it up as I went along. Getting the vinyl off the back was hard. I started by pulling out the round strip of vinyl that was covering the staples and then just pulled out all of the staples holding in the front facing vinyl, liner, foam, and back vinyl (this took a lot of weekends). This is what it looked like at that point:
I wiped the chair down and ran some sandpaper over it. I admit that I didn't put all of the prep work into it that I should have. Looking back, I really should have sanded the entire chair down, but all I really did was rough up the surface.
When I was looking over the chair, I found this little "heart" of lighter wood. I tried soooo many times to get a better picture, but this is the best I could do:
At this point, I just went at it with white paint I had from ACE. The chair ended up requiring more paint than I expected and had to make an unplanned trip to get more (it's not really close, so it was a pain) and ask Morgan to swing by ACE at one point to pick up more, as well. I also bought craft foam for the seat (with a coupon at Joann's) as the original was pretty smashed down. Covering the seat was pretty easy, but recovering the back required honest to goodness patience on my end.
It looked like this for a looong time:
|At times, I was certain this was how the final was going to look!|
I finally got sick of looking at an unfinished chair, so one weekend I set my goal to finish it and that's what I did. It was incredibly tricky to staple the top fabric on because I was using a regular staple-gun (thanks, Morgan!), rather than an upholsterer's staple gun, so I couldn't fit it in the well (you can kind of see it in the picture above). I ended up stapling it on the outer edge of the well and covered it with decorative cording.
I love the finished piece!
I even had enough fabric remaining to cover Ricky's little bench and my footstool, too:
|Originally rescued from the dumpster- Ricky's free bench!|
|Footstool (with Ricky's yarn around it :-) )|