It's Black & White & Koi To Me!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Well this weekend has been a busy one, or I should say, a long one. I had to wait almost 3 hours to get my oil changed, but they gave me a discount so it evened out in the end... and Ricky had to go to the emergency vet. He is doing well, diagnosed with Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. Easily manageable with new food, so I am one thankful mama.

I haven't been working on too many big projects lately, just enjoying a bit of a break in the hot weather here. I do want to share with you my favorite project that I have ever done. I made over what was once my dining table and turned it into my desk.




When I moved to Albuquerque from Minnesota, everything I brought with me fit into the back of my Saturn Vue... everything. My mom had this table stored under her bed and told me it was mine to take. She purchased it at Ikea, so it has the magical ability to have its legs removed and to fit just about anywhere.

For years it looked like this:

Your basic blonde-veneer Ikea table.

I knew I wanted to turn this into a black desk, but it has this weird veneer finish and I knew I wouldn't be able to sand it. After searching online, I found some great blogs about refinishing pressed-wood furniture without sanding it first! The first blog I found was The Pear Tree Cottage and her experience was backed up by the Censational Girl blog. Basically, the trick is to use this oil-based primer.

Zinsser Oil-Based Primer

Using this oil-based primer allowed me to paint directly onto the the table without any sanding. The only prep work I did was to wipe it down with a damp rag to get all the Ricky hairs off of it.

I laid out plastic drop cloth in my kitchen and painted away! I let 24 hours lapse between each coat of primer.

Primer: Coat One

Primer: Coat Two

Can you see what I call the "bald spot?"

For whatever reason, this small part wouldn't accept paint.

After letting the last coat dry for 24 hours, I laid down the first coat of high-gloss black paint!

Spotty to say the least...

Added a second after 12 hours of drying and it started to look much, much better!

I moved it outside to "bake" in the sun (I just wanted it to be dry!)

I knew I wanted to put a white detail on it and found the coolest set of stencils at Wal Mart to choose from.


I chose to use a paisley/crescent shaped stencil. The stencils are cardboard and I didn't really have the correct sponging tool on hand to do a "perfect" job the first time and this is what it looked like after the first coat:

Mega-bleeding through....



I ended up buying artist's paintbrushes at Hobby Lobby and touched them up both inside and around to clean them up and fill them in.


Touched-up and filled-in

And it was at this point that I realized that they look like koi fish.

At this point I was so happy with the finished product. The last step in the project was spraying it with a coat of clear matte sealant I had on hand.

I am so, so happy with the finished product. It looks pretty good with my chair, I think!

Black & White & Koi!

Do you have a piece of furniture you could make over with this new (to me) primer?


You may also like:


 


5 comments:

  1. That primer looks awesome. I have some coffee/end tables that I would like to paint, but they are way too ornate to ever hope to sand them sufficiently. Problem solved. I wonder if your bald spot was from an oil or grease spot? did the paint cover it well anyways?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Paint covered the weird spot with no problems. I would really recommend using it for intricate designs. It saves so much time and should work perfectly for your tables. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. You did a great job! I always love an Ikea makeover. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I am so excited! Thank you for considering and featuring me!!

      JQ

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a transformation! Love the makeover....thanks for visiting 24 Cottonwood Lane and sharing about the primer. Looking forward to the next makeover.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs