Welcome Home, Fall

Sunday, September 16, 2012

I love Fall. From the leaves changing, to pumpkins and hot cider, I could live in Fall forever! I feel like it is a time of renewal. Maybe its because of the incredibly hot and oppressive summers here... maybe it's just because I love it! 

Fall is starting to make its way to New Mexico. Two mornings this week were under 50°, but now we aren't supposed to have weather under 80° the next seven days. Boo.

As a renter, it can be hard to find ways to personal my space because nothing I do can be permanent. One thing I really love is making and displaying wreaths. This weekend, inspired by a bunch of wreaths on Pinterest (this and this in particular), I decided to make my own Fall yarn wreath.



I started by knowing I was going to use the verigated Autumn-inspired yarn I had already from a failed attempt at crocheting an apron last Fall and that I wanted to try the trick I saw on Pinterest about using foam insulation for pipes for the wreath form, but other than that, I didn't know exactly how it was going to turn out.

I started by visiting a local Goodwill to see what Autumn decorating items they had out. The one I went to looked pretty picked over for decorating items, but had tons (and I mean tons) of Halloween decorations. I didn't find anything at Goodwill for my wreath, so I swung by another thrift store and Big Lots, before I accepted that I would probably find what I needed at Hobby Lobby. 

On the drive to Hobby Lobby, I passed Lowe's where I stopped to pick up the foam insulation for the wreath form. I had a heck of a time finding it. I had read on some other blogs that it was sold by the foot, so I was looking for a roll of it. Luckily, a gentleman pulled a six-foot tube out of a box and I found them. I chose the 3/4" diameter at a cost of $1.18 + tax.



I was in Hobby Lobby (armed with my 40% off coupon) for probably an hour. I went back and forth on a few items, but ultimately ended up finding a perfect match to the color of the yarn in some fake berries on a branch. Some of the wreath decorating items are pretty cute, but some are just... ew, so fake. Like the mini-Indian corns? Yeah, we know they are fake.

Everything I bought was 40% off anyway, so I didn't get to use my coupon. I thought about going to the Dollar Tree as they might have similar items for cheaper, but the drive wasn't worth it, and I had already found things I really liked.


I had all of the yarn already, so I purchased the berries and two pumpkins from Hobby Lobby for just over $5 total.

Ricky so badly wanted to play with the berries...

Please, Ju?

I started off by measuring around another wreath I have to determine how long to cut the tubing. It was 41", so I measure it out and cut it at that length. It is very easy to cut because the tube is hollow in the middle.

Once I cut it and started to turn it into a circle, I realized that it was bending rather than circling. I thought that maybe I should have cut the end at a wedge angle, so I cut a wedge to insert between the ends to ease the angle of the circle.


Ultimately, this didn't make a difference because I couldn't get it to stay. But, when I actually taped the ends of the wreath together, they formed their own wedge:

You can kind of see the hollow space that was created.

Completed wreath form.
Find the update on the wreath form here.

Once the wreath form was completed, I wrapped the yarn around the it. I didn't use hot-glue because I fear that the little strings will stick to the yarn and it will turn into a huge mess, so I just tied off the first loop.


From there, I continued to circle the yarn around until the entire form was covered.

About 90% completed.

Once I completed the circle, I started on the hanger portion. I actually used a different yarn I hadn't thought I would use originally. It is a burgundy color and matched much better than the tan or brown I thought I might use. I first created loops of the same size, then started the same process of wrapping yarn around the wreath again, but this time I made sure I was also wrapping through the loops (which create the hanger part).

Loop one...

Completed hanger

The last step was to work with the accessories. I started by inserting the berries (which have a long stem) between the yarn and the foam.


I gently nudged the stem along until it was all the way inserted.

I did the same with the two pumpkins. Rather than using a hot glue gun, I used their stick and poked them into the foam. Since the foam is hollow, I was able to guide the bigger pumpkins stick into the hollow portion for more stabilization.



Overall, I think this is one of my favorite projects to date. I think it turned out better than I ever could have planned it!


Have you made a wreath out of yarn before; did you use hot glue on yours? What do you think of mine? I love to read your comments!

P.S. Did you notice that my pictures look a little bit different this post? I started using a free program called Pixlr, that ages your pictures for you. I like the softness of them. It is a pretty cool program to play around with. The settings I use are "Sara" on the first step, and "Round" on the last step.

You may also like:


I Heart Nap Time UndertheTableandDreaming
Sumo's Sweet Stuff The Girl Creative handmade projects BWS tips button Skip To My Lou

12 comments:

  1. Cute project! :) I always think about decorating for the seasons because it gives you a chance to redecorate time and time again, but I just don't like having to store all the stuff once it's all over. I have to find balance.

    Thanks for the tip on Pixlr. I may try that. I'd like create a stamp for my photos as well...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    :), Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Thank you for your kind words. I agree about the "storage-issue." I am trying to operate under the "one item in-one item out" rule, so that my collection doesn't grow exponentially! But it is so hard. There are so many cute things out there!

      Let me know how you end up feeling about Pixlr.

      Thanks,

      Julia

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that I found you on Sundae Scoop. I love this wreath! Thank you so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! I can't wait to visit your website! -Julia

      Delete
  3. Very cute idea! Looks super. thanks for joining my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you for hosting the party! -Julia

      Delete
  4. Your wreath is so cute and very creative! I love it. Your newest follower from Debbiedoo's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following me! That means so much! :-)

      Delete
  5. This is too cute! Great job! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Fall link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_09_17_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've shared the project on your Countdown to Fall. Thank you for inviting me over!

      Delete
  6. How is it that I've never seen a wreath hanger created that way before?! That's great, and the whole looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found you via Dixie 'n Dottie. Your wreath is great and the step-by-step directions and photos are very clear and I think will be easy to follow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs