Wreath Rewind...

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Happy Saturday! It's been a few weeks since I made the fall wreath that I wrote about here. I had really positive feedback on it (thanks, everyone!), but I have an update that I want to share.

I was really excited to use foam pipe insulation for the wreath form because it was so much cheaper than a form from Hobby Lobby or Michael's. But... I've since changed my opinion.

Here's what I started with:

Perfectly round handmade wreath form...


Perfect Autumn wreath...

But since then, the wreath form has not been able to hold its shape and it now looks like this:

Droopy wreath...

From what I can tell, the wreath form has stretched/drooped under the "weight" of the embellishments. The thing is, that the two pumpkins are hollow and can't weight more than a few ounces! I think the right bottom quadrant has stayed rounded because the stem of the berries is stuck in it, keeping it rounded.

The weight has caused the top of the wreath form to shrink and now there is a gap between the yarn and the form:

Gap between the wreath form and the yarn...

Now the yarn is loose on the top...

In the end, I have to pass along a recommendation to not use the foam pipe insulation for the wreath form. I'm sure others have had a lot of success with this, but I know I won't be using it again. :-(


Kind of disappointing since I loved the wreath when it was first made.

Any thoughts on how to avoid the drooping?


1 comment:

  1. As soon as I started reading, I wondered if you could do the top wrapping (where it hangs) where the seam in the pipe is?? That way, it'd have more stability. Maybe. I'm no engineer, but it could work!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs