Happy Belated Halloween

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Happy Saturday before Election Day! Only a few more days of calls, door knockers, and TV and radio ads! Yay!

This last week has been pretty busy with work, Halloween, and pre-election volunteering. I wasn't able to get my post for Halloween up in time, but better late than never!

This year, my new Halloween treat was to make Owl cupcakes for work. I got the idea from Pinterest and pretty much followed the recipe I found.

Hoot, hoot!

I took the easy way out and used a boxed mix and pre-made frosting. I followed a tip I found on Pinterest and swapped the water for milk in the boxed cake directions. I don't know if it made a difference, but people certainly raved about it in the comments section of the website.

I also did a little test and followed another tip on Pinterest and turned the heat of the oven down from 350° to 325° when baking the cupcakes. I tried this on the first batch and they rose beautifully. The second batch I kept at 350° and they stayed flat. Try this tip the next time you bake, it really works!!

The cupcakes I baked were just basic boxed chocolate topped with chocolate frosting. While the cupcakes were baking, I assembled the eyes. I used store-brand Oreo's and separated them into rows, filling side up. I then pressed brown Reese's Pieces onto one edge of each. After a day of cooling, I frosted the cupcakes and added the eyes and the beaks (orange Reese's Pieces). Very easy to make, but so cute as well!



I didn't have any trick-or-treaters at my apartment this year (only one last year), but I was decorated for anyone who may have showed up!

My Halloween welcome mat from Hobby Lobby clearance section last year.

Oversized candy corn garland from Goodwill turned into Halloween wreath.

Black cat eyes small dish I use for spoon rest.

I can't wear any kind of costume at work, but did help a friend create a playing card costume for her job (felt and glitter canvas, fyi). I had fun looking through old pictures of Halloween costumes...

Devil girl!

Not a costume, but Halloween time. Probably in first or second grade.

4th grade Lucille Ball costume!

Freshman in college costume... noticing a trend; devil again?
My college roommate as the Queen of Hearts (she made the costume by hand!)!
Any good trick-or-treaters at your place? What is your signature decoration, treat, or costume, for Halloween?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs