Winter Wreath

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Winter has hit New Mexico! Well, at least Northern New Mexico. I just love seeing snow... it makes me feel so... winter-y (duh :-) )

I put together a winter wreath recently, and love how it turned out. I love all of the inspirations for wreaths I find on Pinterest, other blogs, and even just Googling pictures. I was excited to make felt flowers for this wreath and think I will be making them again and again!

Winter wreath!



I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that I walked through Michael's for an hour trying to narrow down the type of wreath I wanted to make. As soon as I saw the "Let It Snow" placard, I knew I was going to make a yarn wreath and use black, white, and red for my color scheme.

The piece that put my ideas together!

The placard is just $1 at Michael's and is pre-made and covered in a nubby black and white fabric.

Close-up!

I was so excited to make felt roses! I bought two sheets each red and white felt then Googled instructions. They are really very simple. Just cut a circle (or semi-roundish shape, as I did) out of a piece of felt. Then cut  into the circle in a straight or curvy pattern to make a long strip. Then wrap the strip in a circle. Done! Most of the tutorials I found hot glued them, but I was way too lazy, so I used contrasting sewing straight pins to attach the roses to the wreath form.


The red roses have pearl-head pins holding them together.

My very favorite rose is a "double" rose I made using both red and white felt wrapped together. It creates a beautiful look:

"Double" felt rose held together with a red-head pin.

I found a great red and cream houndstooth yarn for 99 cents at Michael's. I threw together a "sort-of" bow for the hanger. I admit, I need to learn how to make a real bow.

Houndstooth hanger

Remember the failure of the pipe-insulation wreath form? Yeah, I do too. With that wonky shape still hanging on my door, I decided to buy the floral wreath form. Since it cost 10x more than the pipe-insulation, I (succesfully) attempted to follow a Pinterest tip and cut the wreath form in half.

Pinterest inspiration:


As a result, it lays nicely against the door because the back is flat. Plus, I got two wreaths for the price of one!!



One last look!

What do you think of my wreath? What about at your house? Do you have a wreath up? Is it a holiday or seasonal one?

Hope you have a great weekend!

You may also like:


Skip To My Lou{nifty button} The Girl Creative

I Heart Nap Time Newbie party Ladybird Ln


5 comments:

  1. Very cute winter wreath! I thank you for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and sweet. I'll have to try that tip about cutting the floral wreaths in half! I can never get mine to lay flat, or I pay a fortune for those flat Styrofoam ones that shed everywhere. Found you via Flamingo Toes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I think cutting it in half is the best option. They are pricey, but worth it, especially if you can get two out of it. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Julia

      Delete
  3. this is so cute! I am totally pinning this. thanks for sharing!

    Lelanie @ to-sew-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for stopping by. I'm so happy that you like the wreath!

      JQ

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs