Sunday, January 20, 2013

How to {Cheaply} Personalize a Bookcase

We all have at least one, if not more of them in our house. The dreaded particle board bookcase. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to assemble, and readily available at all of the big box stores. But they are so boring looking. I have one in my house in my dining room (which is also the first thing you see when you walk in my apartment). Eventually, I plan to paint it the same color as my dining table (whenever that is) using the Zinsser primer so the paint sticks; but since I know that will be in a while, I have been itching make it look more "me." This weekend I think I got there!


I've thought about putting colored foam board (from a craft store) in the back of each shelf, but didn't like that the only colors I found were primary and kind of harsh. I pinned these ideas a while ago and, to be honest, forgot about them until someone repinned them this week and I got the reminder e-mail.


 

Then the light bulb went off when I found this wrapping paper at Target this weekend...


for only $1!

I knew that the lattice design was exactly what I had been looking for. And the natural backing was perfect because I knew it would look as though I stenciled it onto the back of the bookcase.

What you will need:

A Bookcase (if the shelves don't come out, you will need to cut the foam board into smaller pieces);
Wrapping paper with a design you like (I picked mine up from the dollar aisle at Target and suggest using either a solid color or a simple repeating pattern);
Foam board (either large enough to fit your bookcase or multiple pieces to cover the size you will need);
Scissors;
Adhesive spray;
Packing tape; and
A pencil

I happened to have a huge piece of foam board (purchased at Goodwill) from a previous project I never mastered.



I laid it in front of the bookcase (after clearing out the books and decorations and pulling the mirrors off the foam board) and traced around the bookcase (taking into account the width of the edges). I then cut out the foam board with a pair of scissors, sawing along the pencil marks. Before beginning to cover it with the wrapping paper, I put the foam board inside of the bookcase to make sure it fit.

Testing the cutout foam to make sure
it fit before I covered it with the
wrapping paper.

I used adhesive spray to adhere to the wrapping paper to the foam board. I wanted the pattern to look vertical, so I ended up putting three "rows" or "strips" of the paper.

Two rows...

and three rows.

The great thing about the adhesive spray is that it is tacky but not immediately permanent, so I had a bit of time to re-position the paper so the pattern lined up perfectly. It is very important to make sure the seams align perfectly (after all, the pattern is the whole point!).

Very faint seam.

To adhere the edges of the paper to the back, I used the adhesive spray again, but also secured it with clear packing tape.

Securing the edges on the back.

Once everything was secure, I put the wrapping paper wrapped foam in the back and grinned from ear-to-ear... I love(d) it!

With the foam board fitted in the back.

With the shelves in the bookcase.

Overall, the cost was only $1 (as I had the other materials on hand) and took only about 40 minutes to create.

Just a note, that the shelves will hang out past the front of the bookcase because of the added width of the foam board. But(!) the good news is, that once the books and decorations are put on the shelves (adding weight) I was able to push the shelves back in and they stayed put!

I love, love, love this project!


What do you think? Did I pull off some of the Pinterest ideas? Hope you like this as much as I do!

I link up with:


37 comments:

  1. It's a "home run" as they say! Yay! I love it when a project turns out well and meets my expectations!! Great tut, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, Thank you for the compliments! I am so happy with how it turned out! Thank you for stopping by!

      JQ

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! Great job and thanks for the compliments on mine!!!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot to get such great feedback from a fellow blogger! JQ

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this! Hilariously, I actually bought that wrapping paper/quatrefoil paper from Target too (I LOVE that dollar section/spot). Thank you for your sweet words - can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I need to look for that wrapping paper at Target. It looks so good! Thanks for stopping by and congrats on a beautiful project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily, for stopping by! JQ

      Delete
  5. Love the bookcase! And wrapping paper...who knew?

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Thank you for stopping by! I completely agree about the wrapping paper. I'm not very good at seeing things and thinking of their "other" uses... but I'm working on it!

      JQ

      Delete
  6. I used the same exact wrapping paper to spruce up my liquor cabinet a couple weeks back!! Love that design!!

    Jenna @ http://www.rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Jenna! Thanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to visit your blog soon!

      JQ

      Delete
  7. I just re-did my book cases in my office with foam board and fabric. Decorating bookshelves really does dress them up.

    I'm having a STRUT YOUR STUFF Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and come show off your best projects. Or, just come link up your blog!!

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/strut-your-stuff-social-hop.html

    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denyse! I definitely link with you when I can! Thank you sooo much for stopping by! JQ

      Delete
  8. This looks great. What a good idea. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a minute at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geri, thanks for the follow! I'll be sure to swing by and check out your blog! I so appreciate you stopping by!!

      JQ

      Delete
    2. Your project looks great! You have a great blog. I am your newest follower!
      Fabrizia @ www.fabtwigs.com

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I so appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. I've got the foam board and ready to go but haven't found just the right paper or fabric... your paper was amazing and couldn't be any cheaper at a cost of $1.00! Your bookcase looks great!
    Hugs,
    Pendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Pendra! I hope you find something that fits you so you can complete the project!

      JQ

      Delete
  10. Very cool! :)
    I'd like to invite you to check out my thrifted link up!
    http://www.youngheartoldsoul.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I'll be sure to stop by!

      JQ

      Delete
  11. What a great, thrifty way to dress up a bookcase. Even though I'm in north Alabama, my daughter and her family live outside Minneapolis. In an earlier post you said your mom lives in MN? Can't even imagine -15 degrees! -- Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You are right that my mom lives in Minneapolis. It is so incredibly cold there right now! I just talked with my mom to tell her that it is 58 here! Thanks for stopping by!

      JQ

      Delete
  12. Love the gift wrap idea, there are so many pretty designs now that this is something anyone could do and find a look they like to use. Thanks for sharing it on A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to dress up and personalize an ordinary bookshelf - you turned it into something special!
    I'd love for you to come over and share at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party.
    http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh Anne! Thanks for stopping by! I linked up to your party! Thanks for hosting!

      JQ

      Delete
  14. Hi, found you from A Little Knick Knack:) Awesome bookshelf! I love how something so simple (& easy on the wallet!) makes such a huge difference in style - beautiful! I know some bookshelves in my house that are going to get a makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candice,

      Thanks for stopping by! I am so excited that you like the bookcase! I hope you find some great fabric or wrapping paper. If you take pictures, be sure to share!

      JQ

      Delete
  15. It’s a new Linky Party to create more buzz for your blog and connect with others! If you haven’t joined Creative Crafts Thursday yet, please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look! I to live in MN and this time of year its very cold...no kind of painting going on, grrrrr love to paint everything :)this is a great way to transform a plain bookcase is to a lovely piece work. love. love. love it.
    Thanks again,Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for linking up over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party. Hope you'll join in again on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute idea! I need to try this on one of my bookshelves...
    You have a cute blog :)
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I am totally in love with this! I am afraid I missed out on thie $1 wrapper paper though! Darn it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...