Brasilia in the 'Burque!

Monday, February 4, 2013

Remember the dresser I found at a garage sale over the Summer - my Brasilia dresser? Well, as if it was meant to be... I found another piece to the bedroom set! Look at this nightstand!!


The dresser that started it all

I hate am not a fan of antique store browsing, but something was telling me to head to Antique Mile (who knew they had a blog?) in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque this Saturday. I started at the north end and made my way down 4th Street stopping in and browsing quite a few stores. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just out for a leisurely Saturday.


It was at the Antique Coop where I spotted it. I rounded a corner after considering picking up a pretty chenille bedspread and there.it.was. It literally took my breath away. I'm pretty sure I took a look around to make sure no one else was eyeing the piece (there wasn't even another person in the same room... it's called heart-flutter-hysteria).

The piece was listed as a mission table, priced at $95, down from $100. I knew right away that the piece was Brasilia because of the drawer pull. But, yikes! My mind went blank at that price. Ninety-five dollars is a lot of money for a nightstand. I quickly Googled pictures of it to make sure I was looking at a Brasilia nightstand and the exact pictures of what I was seeing came up.

You know what else popped up? $250+ price tags! I took off the price tag off the nightstand and went to the front of the store. The price said firm, but I wanted to see if they would work with me. They weren't able to lower the price because of the "firm" note the seller had made on the tag, but the clerk offered to put it on hold for me until the next day when the seller would be in.


I called my mom (okay, maybe three times because I was that excited) and she gave me some advice on negotiating a lower price. She said that sellers usually offer 10% off the price if an interested buyer asks if they are willing to negotiate. So she suggested asking for a 15% reduction. I went home and Googled a few more pictures and info on the piece to make sure I was making a good purchase. I decided that $75 was my goal price and crossed my fingers waiting for the next day.

Broyhill Brasilia furniture is highly coveted by Mid-Century Modern furniture collectors. I found this cute original brochure online... isn't it cute?!

Anywho... back to the "get." On Sunday I headed back to the Antique Coop and found the seller in her booth setting up some new things. She was so friendly and so happy I was interested in a piece of hers. I asked her if she would be willing to negotiate on the price, she right away threw out...ready... $65!! I'm sure my jaw hit the floor! I told her, of course, that would be great! I happily paid and loaded it up in my car.

So exciting!


Marks and scuffs on the top :-(



The stain is chipped off the bottom front

Ricky and Odo wanted to know what was going on...



Now, the one thing is... my nightstand doesn't have a stamp in it inside the drawer like one I saw online. My mom suggested looking behind the drawer, but the drawer doesn't come out. What the nightstand does have, is a marking on the back. It is really faint and I couldn't get a very good picture.


It says, "Design Copyrighted 1962 | Broyhill Brasilia Factories | ----" The last line I can't make out because it is too light.

At some point, I'll tackle refinishing the piece, but in the meantime, I am just so happy to have it!


Have you ever found something "perfect" for you at an antique store? Have I been missing out all of these years?!

I link up with:


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/05/2013

    You do good work, Julie!!
    CH in IA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/16/2013

    My brother recommended I would possibly like this web
    site. He was entirely right. This submit actually made my day.
    You cann't consider just how so much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

    My website :: pirater un compte facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/29/2013

    Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth was once a leisure account it.
    Look complex to more brought agreeable from you! However, how could
    we keep up a correspondence?

    Also visit my web-site ... microsoft Office gratuit

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs