The {Unofficial} Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I have a confession... unless it's Train, I rarely listen to Top 40 music (side note: as a long-time Train fan it is awesome to call them "Top 40"!). So, without John and Sherry at Young House Love creating the Completely Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge, I would only have heard about the song from a friend who told me that every time he hears it on the radio he thinks of me. I guess there are worse things... right?

So let's start from the beginning. If you haven't heard this song... you have to (warning: mom and dad, I don't normally listen to this kind of music).





Then there's the challenge:

Step 1. Go to a thrift shop, any thrift shop, with $20 in your pocket (just like the chorus of the song);
Step 2. Spend the $20 any way you like (on your spoils);
Step 3. Find at least one item mentioned in the song.

My trusty other half Morgan joined me for this adventure. Here is our {Unoffocial} Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge experience at Thrift Town in Albuquerque.

Step 1: $20 in my pocket!



Step 3: {going out of order because these are funny} Items from the song!


Not one, but two velcro shoes!

Yes... it has penguin feet!



Step 2: Our spoils!


Guess whose spoils these are? Morgan's!

Awesome shirt for this summer!

Embellished t-shirt!



Sweet book to read next month.

Silver braided belt!

Simple white plate.
Other fun stuff I didn't buy:


Of course, Ricky gave his approval of everything!


Did you participate in the Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge? If so, leave your link in the comments... I would love to check out your spoils!

Anyone find anything good out there in thrift shop land recently?

I link up with:

Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | Whatever Goes WednesdaysShow & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Creative Juice ThursdayTreasure Hunt Thursday | Under $100 Linky Party | Crafty Soiree | Blog Stalking Thursday | Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party | Transformation Thursday | Crafty Soiree | DIY Thrifty Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | Frugalicious Friday | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Redoux Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | Finding the Pretty & Delicious


15 comments:

  1. O my goodness!! I stumbled on your blog from My Girlish Whims. I live in Rio Rancho!! Rarely do I find other New Mexico bloggers!

    Take Care and great blog!
    Mandy Jean
    www.mandyjeanchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You are right... oh my gosh! How exciting! I haven't found any other lifestyle bloggers from New Mexico, so this is so exciting for me! I am going over to your blog right now! So excited!

      Delete
  2. How fun! I've never done the Macklemore challenge, although now I'm starting to think about it.. Thanks for a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I saw this at YHL. I think it's awesome that you guys did it. My husband actually told me about the song - I had no idea. He was like, "Yeah.. there's this song on the radio. About thrift stores. I just assumed you knew what it was." I didn't even believe him til I heard it myself. Love your finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute finds. Haven't done the challenge, but I drag enough stuff home already, so I'll just enjoy watching everyone else do that. Stop by and check out all my finds any time!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found good stuff! It makes me want to do the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer live in the Land of Enchantment, and I sure do miss it! I never see anyone who blogs from NM. I'm off to check out more of your blog. I'm an avid thrifter- so much more economical to use for my home and for my clients. Found you at Pamela's party. ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some good finds. It's funny, but I almost never buy any clothes at thrift stores - just dishes and tablecloths. Here's my link: http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-20-thrift-store-challenge-give-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun! Looks like a great date night :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, ha - this was really fun! I saw you in the Delightful Order linky party and your thumbnail looked so chipper that I just had to take a look. Then I saw it - "the song" - made me laugh. My son introduced me to that song & video, so I cracked up when I saw your post. I'm not much of a thrift store person (although my husband and kids seem to have the knack for finding stuff), but I've enjoyed your experience! Good job and thanks for sharing :)
    Resa ~ Pitcher and Plate

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! My boyfriend was just singing me this song yesterday and I honestly thought he was joking. I had to share your page with him - and maybe he would actually join me in this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. I had not heard of this song (or the challenge) and it made me laugh so hard as I am an avid thrifter! Loved the song! Thanks for sharing. (found you on FJI)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband came home singing this song the other day and I thought what the heck is that?! I had never heard of this challenge! Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw this on YHL and didn't get to the thrift store in time! I seriously can't believe you found an adult-size "built-in onesie with the socks.." And penguin socks no less! So fun :)

    And I'm super excited to have stumbled on another ABQ blogger!! Found you through I Heart Naptime - excited to check out more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Oh my gosh! I get so excited finding other ABQ bloggers! I am heading over to Fresh Coat of Paint right now! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs