Hanging Dishtowels

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Today I am sharing a quick and easy sewing project! As the second installment in my Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series, I am sharing how to make your dishtowels into hanging dishtowels. If you have kids (or are all-over-the-place in the kitchen like me), these are great!



As soon as I found the original idea on Pinterest I knew I had to make them. I just needed the kick-in-the-pants of the kitchen series to motivate me make them... finally. They are so incredibly easy to make and add a dash of style to my otherwise white kitchen.

What you need:

One standard sized dishtowel
Some fabric (a quarter yard or so will allow for enough fabric)
One piece of felt or flannel that has the same base color as fabric
Matching or contrasting thread
Scissors
Button, snap, or velcro
Sewing machine
Computer hooked up to a printer with ink

What to do:

Begin by gathering your towel and material. They can match, compliment, contrast, whatever you like. Visit the original post here and download the free template

Tips: be sure to follow the instructions on the template sheet; iron everything before you begin; try to get your gathers to look similar on the two separate towels; I used three rows of stitching to attach the towel to the fabric portion... just in case. 



I want to thank Mara at Kleios Belly for the free template!

Enjoy!

=====================


Trash Can Re-do (original project)
Hand Towel Hangers (idea from JoAnn at The Creamer Chronicles)
New DIY Floor Mats (ideas from Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home
Laura at Design Share, and Molly at Molly Kay Stoltz)
DIY Spoon Rest (idea from Meredith at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home)
Personalize the Cat Dishes (idea from Heather at Whipperberry)
Artwork (still figuring this out...)
Deep Clean ... blurg (oven, dishwasher, floors, fridge, microwave...)

I link up with:

Made by you Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Show me What You Got | Masterpiece Monday | Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Get Your Craft On | Your Gonna Love It | Knock Our Socks Off Party | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Mad Skills Link Party | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | The DIY Dreamer | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | We Did It Wednesday | Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party |  Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | What I Learned Wednesday | DIY Thrifty Thursday | Artsy Corner Link Party | Crafty Obsession | Crafty Saturday | Lovely Crafty Weekend Get Your Craft On | We Did It Wednesday | Spice Up Your Kitchen Party!




23 comments:

  1. This would be great with huge statement buttons! My kitchen is so boring. Thx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute idea!Love it! ! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm visiting from the hop. I'm a follower and love this idea. Those would look awesome in my kitchen. Hope you will visit me and see if you'd like to follow back. I love making new friends.
    Best
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - found you over at Create.Craft.Love.. GREAT idea!! I have a munchkin who does a drive by and pulls down my towels.. Will make these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! My grandma used to give these as gifts. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your towels are super cute! I love they they are not going to walk out of the kitchen as well. Very cute project.
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out so cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these - it's always on my to do list, but I have yet to get around to it. I'm going to pick up some Easter towels on clearance this year because I have great Easter fabric scraps.
    http://sistersplayinghouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! These would make great gifts. Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This are so pretty! Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this cute idea at my Nifty Thrifty Tuesday party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! I remember a version of these many, many years ago... I'm pinning. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute! I love these. I don't know how this would work for me, it seems I go through SO many towels every day with kids... so pretty though! I host a Tuesday link party that I would love for you to join! www.nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So adorable! I definitely need these in my kitchen. No towels on the floor, tripping on them by the stove....great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom had these when I was growing up and I'm just learning to sew so I'm so glad to have found these! Do you think you could use magnets instead of buttons or snaps?

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are awesome!! I've debated doing omething so this is great. Thanks! New follow. :)

    Kara
    Simplisticallysassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these!! So smart!
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner. You've been featured this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent idea!!! Gosh with my hubby in the kitchen the dishtowel can end up anywhere!!! I have to be honest Thank God he likes being in the kitchen since I don't like cooking hahahaha! But this idea is perfect!

    Thanks! and congrats foe being featured!

    XOXO
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/clever-chicks-blog-hop-27-pizza-rustica.html





    I hope you can make it!



    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great, what a perfect pop of color! You've been featured in the Spice Up Your Kitchen Awards, thanks so much for linking up:

    http://makinglemonadeblog.com/kitchen-renovations-ideas-and-features

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to make some dishtowels like this so my baby will stop pulling them off of the oven! :) I'd love for you to come link up to our party where we can show off all of our old or new projects! :)
    http://www.cutesycrafts.com/2013/04/an-oldie-but-goodie-12.html - Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this project! I am a huge fan of hanging dish towels but they are so hard for me to find. Now I can make my own and make cuter ones than I have been able to buy.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs