How To Clean Your Dishwasher

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Welcome to the first installment in the Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series! Surprisingly, I'm starting off with a cleaning trick! Learn how to get a sparklingly clean dishwasher below!



I was hoping to start with a decorating project for the first installment of the Kitchen Series, but sometimes reality dictates that cleaning is more important than crafts and DIY projects... especially when my sink looks like this:


I am embarrassed to share that picture, but I'm also real. My kitchen can be a real mess sometimes. For once I have an excuse for this mess and it all begins with my dishwasher...

Recently my dishwashers ability to clean has sucked. I would wash a load and little microscopic bits of... grossness would end up on my dishware after a cycle. I would wash them twice, on the hottest setting, with different detergents; never with any luck. I finally gave up and decided that I would just hand wash everything. But the pile up in the sink was the result. 

I should have just contacted my property management, but I am lazy and didn't. I finally decided to conquer the dishwasher problems and googled for some common fixes and found one repeated over and over again, so I decided to give it a try. It was so easy, I can't believe I didn't do this earlier!

What You Need:
White distilled vinegar
Small, dish-washer safe bowl or cup

Directions:
Pick out any large pieces of "gunk" if you can. Pour vinegar (about a cup...) into the bowl. Place the bowl on the top rack of the empty dishwasher like it is sitting on the counter; so the vinegar is in the cup. Run a cycle of your dishwasher on the hottest cycle. Voila! After the cycle is complete you will have a sparklingly clean dishwasher!

Don't judge the before pictures... just keeping it real here.


"Gunk" in the bottom of the bowl after the cleaning cycle. Gross.




=====================


Trash Can Re-do (original project)
Hand Towel Hangers (idea from JoAnn at The Creamer Chronicles)
New DIY Floor Mats (ideas from Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home
Laura at Design Share, and Molly at Molly Kay Stoltz)
DIY Spoon Rest (idea from Meredith at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home)
Personalize the Cat Dishes (idea from Heather at Whipperberry)
Artwork (still figuring this out...)
Deep Clean ... blurg (oven, dishwasher, floors, fridge, microwave...)

Do you have any easy cleaning tips?

I link up with:

Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party | Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Think Pink Sundays |  Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Mad Skills Link Party | Masterpiece Monday | Made by you Monday | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Your Gonna Love It | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Knock Our Socks Off Party | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | What I Learned Wednesday | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | The DIY Dreamer | Spice Up Your Kitchen Party!



38 comments:

  1. i'll be saving this post for future reference! thanks for sharing! xo

    -ashley
    ashleyrachelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so glad to hear that! I am happy to share something so simple! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Amazing tip! Thanx for sharing it at THT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found the tip useful!

      Delete
  3. Grip tip - looking forward to the rest of the series - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for such a nice comment! I just posted the next in the series: Hanging Dishtowels. Hope you will take a look! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Just did this today. Isn't it odd that something constantly exposed to soap and water still manages to get dirty? If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-11/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy, I thought the same thing. I linked up this week! Thank you for stopping by and inviting me!

      Delete
  5. Must do this! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know if it works for you! I sure hope s! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Thanks for showing the real side of life...I always like that. It makes me feel more normal! ;-)
    Thanks for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KC! I am seriously anything but perfect, so there is lots of "real" in my life. But I know what you mean, some people seem to live the "perfect" life. Not me! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Love your "reality"! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for that! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! Found you via Nifty Thrifty Tuesday. I use vinegar often as a rinse agent, but have had those nasty bits too. I will be doing this asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar as a rinse agent is a great idea! I will have to think about doing that! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the great tip. I need to try this! Thank you for sharing on The Crafty Blog Stalker. I have featured you this week and it will be posted later tonight! I would love for you to stop by to grab a feature button and wear it on your blog proudly! You deserve it! Click here to get to your feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for the feature! That means so much! I'm glad you found it helpful! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. This is great! Now, I just need a dishwasher! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo, that's rough. I've been without a dishwasher and you can only imagine by the pictures how horrible I was at keeping up on my dishes! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for 'keeping it real!' My dishwasher looks far more disgusting, so I am totally going to try this today. Bye bye, gross bits on my clean dishes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip! This is something I REALLY need to do! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never understood why the dishwasher doesn't do it's job 100% all the time. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, Julia. I don't often run into other Julias, but when I do it's a pleasure :) I am doing this on our dishwasher! Thank you so much for the practical tips. I recently started a Thursday link-up party (yes, today:), and I would really love to see this post and/or any others you would like to include. I am at allthingswithpurpose.com. Hope to see you there and for many more Thursday's to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We all loathe doing it but it should be carried out! Let's be truthful, your oven is in desperate need to have of a good clear following all individuals winter season roasts.
    I reserve this post for future purposes.


    Oven Cleaning Gold Coast
    BBQ Cleaning Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it’s really a very nice tip. Got an idea to manage my cleaning problems. Thanks for sharing. Nice blog, Keep updating.

    Residential Cleaning Services Mesa AZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll definitely try this tip this week! thanks for visiting Petticoat Junktion

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm definitely trying this asap! I have some stubborn soap residue around my soap dispenser; I hope this does the trick;) Thanks for the tip! And, thanks for the kind words you left on my blog! I'm happy you stopped by!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous4/13/2013

    Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon
    your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

    Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.


    Feel free to surf to my site :: 18 inch dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4/13/2013

    Hello there, I discovered your website by way of Google whilst searching for a similar subject,
    your site got here up, it seems to be great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, just became alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it is truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels.

    I will appreciate when you continue this in future.
    A lot of other folks will likely be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my website; modern dishwashers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous4/14/2013

    Excellent blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Kudos!

    my blog :: sunbrella cushions

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5/28/2013

    Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
    it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her
    ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know
    this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

    Feel free to visit my webpage ... wood cutting boards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have just made my day Anonymous! ThereI was so seriously reading and nodding my head and agreeing that really how terrible we all are with needing a jolt on how to keep our dishwashers clean. (By the way, the long and lonely way to keep dishwasher clean is to read instruction book about removing filters etc. but thats another story). And then you come along like a breath of fresh air and give us all a good belly laugh.

      Delete
  24. Anonymous5/28/2013

    Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to shoot you an e-mail.
    I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

    My weblog; folding chairs

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need to try this asap. My dishwasher looks pretty sad right now, with mildew in it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great way to clean your microwave is using the same method....well almost. Use a microwave safe dish, add water and turn on microwave for 5 minutes. Then wait another 5 minutes, open your microwave and wipe it clean. The steam loosens all the "yuck" and makes it a snap to wipe out!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs