Matt the Mat!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Sunday! Happy Easter! Happy Spring! So much to be happy about today! My mom is safely moved into her new house, the sun is shining outside, the cats are napping, and the Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series is ending today!

When I started this series, I didn't know how much fun I would have putting it together! In fact, my post on how to clean your dishwasher has become the most popular post on my blog, with over 2,000 views! Wowza!! Thank you to all of you who found my blog through the series!

Today, I am wrapping up the series with my DIY kitchen mat tutorial!


I found the idea from Pinterest and was able to personalize it for my taste, needs, and colors.

What you need:
Plastic kitchen mat (I bought a cushioned one from Kohls);
Craft acrylic paint in base color and highlight color;
Primer;
Paint brush;
Q-tips;
Spray sealer

What to do:
First step is to wipe down and prime the kitchen mat. Mine took three coats of primer. Then you need to paint the mat the base color you want. I used white as my base to match the rest of my kitchen. Then you need to decide on your design. You can do something geometric, a fruit or vegetable, words, abstract, anything that comes to mind. Once your design is painted on and dried, spray with a clear sealer.

Tip: As I don't have a vinyl letter cutter (like a Silhouette or Cricut) I free-handed my wording. I ended up using a Q-tip and not a paint brush to paint my design on. You can try a few techniques to find what works best for you.






Even Ricky got in on the painting... but he didn't like it...


=============

~Here is a wrap up of all of the projects in the







Thanks for following along during the Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series!

I link up with:

Made by you Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Show me What You Got | Masterpiece Monday | Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Get Your Craft On | Your Gonna Love It | Knock Our Socks Off Party | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Mad Skills Link Party | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | The DIY Dreamer | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | We Did It Wednesday | Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party | Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | What I Learned Wednesday | DIY Thrifty Thursday | Artsy Corner Link Party | Crafty Obsession | Crafty Saturday | Lovely Crafty Weekend | Get Your Craft On | We Did It Wednesday | Give Me Goods Monday | The Weekend Creative


25 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! It came out so cute!!

    Take Care,
    Mandy Jean
    www.mandyjeanchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mat! It looks great with your other decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the simpleness of your design! Never would of thought of making/painting my own mat, but it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea for a mat! And love those framed pictures - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect touch in your kitchen! Really cute and it looks just as nice as the machine cute lettering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool!!!! Loved it!!!

    Hugs
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea ~ and it matches so nicely!
    I'm visiting you today from Sugar Bee. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the mat! It would make a great housewarming gift! I never thought of painting a mat before.

    I would love for you to share this tip and other posts in your series at my Fabulously Frugal Thursday linky this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this mat idea! I could use one in my kitchen. Thank you for sharing!

    I'd love for you to check out our pattern party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up.
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay!!! So you've got your Adorable printables and now this Stinking cute floor matt.. LOVE it!! I would love for you to share this as well at http://jojoandeloise.com/2013/04/knock-our-socks-off-party-3-2/
    xo
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julia,
    Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know you did so. Have a great rest of your week!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh I love this! I have been trying to find the perfect mat for the kitchen and have had no luck so far..this is my answer! I have pinned it and I am your newest follower. I came across your link on the Crafty Blog Stalker Blog Hop :)

    Justina @ http://justinawho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a cute blog! I love all the kitchen wall art especially. :)

    Happy day!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, LOVE your kitchen!! Red & white kitchens are my favorite - they always look so happy cheery!

    Definitely pinning the way cute mat! I'm excited to make one of my own soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the mat! I also like pet dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great project! I love the little details in the kitchen, especially the towels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a fun idea!! going to follow you.. i like your style :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea and the great series of adding a dash of style to your kitchen! https://twitter.com/rinderceIIa/status/320123913382268928

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I love the touch of red. I have red in my kitchen too! I think I might be stealing some of your ideas. :0)

    Our Simply Create Link party is going on right now. I would love to have you link up, as I'm sure my followers would like to see what you created too. Hope to see you soon!

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! Love how it goes with the kitchen just perfectly. Thanks so much for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun to see all these details of your kitchen!!! Awesome!!!Thanks for linking up at Give Me The Goods Monday! Features will be posted Sunday!!!
    Amy @ www.commona-myhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool mat! I also like those pet dishes!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many great projects!!! I love the bright red and white!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just wanted to let you know you have been featured! Stop on over and grab a feature button... Our second party is up and going, can't wait to see what you have to share this week :)
    http://www.heatherlyloves.com/2013/04/2-circle-of-faith-link-party.html
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs