Personalized Pet Dishes

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hello! I hope your weekend is going well! Things are so good around my little slice of the blogosphere; I want to share some updates with you! If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you know that yesterday marked the 10,000th page view of the blog! I guess I can't say that it's just my mom reading anymore! I have  also recently been featured on quite a few blogs for my Copy Cat Cilantro-Lime Rice and DIY Hanging Dishtowels! Things are just going so well, it is truly awesome!

I am excited for Spring to actually hit, because Morgan and I are planning a joint post on taking portraits for my profile image! But when it's only 47° here, I don't think we're quite yet to Spring!

I can't believe we are on the countdown to the end of March, which means I only have a few more projects to feature on Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series. Today I am showing you how to personalize your pet dishes. {Be sure to check out the previous posts in the series here.}


I first saw the idea of permanently writing on ceramic dishes on Pinterest with this pin, but ended up using a tutorial from a blog I follow, WhipperBerry.

This is an incredibly easy process that can be used for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, or new plateware!

What You Need:
Ceramic Dish (plate, bowl, mug, etc...)
Sharpie (I used black, but other colors may work)
Baking Sheet
Oven
Vinyl (optional)
Cutting Machine - like Cricut or Silhouette (optional)

What to Do:
1. Turn your oven on to 350°.
2. Begin by making sure your dish is clean and dry.
3a. If you are using a cutting machine, decide on your design and print out on vinyl.
3b. If you aren't using a cutting machine (like me), locate a font or design you would like to replicate onto the dish. I used My Font Book to look at how the words look in different fonts I have.
4. If using a vinyl cutout, place it on your dish and press down the edges so there will be no bleed-through. Then color in the stencil with the Sharpie.
5. If free-handing it, follow the design or font you like and write it onto the dish. I suggest first practicing writing the design on a scrap piece of paper. YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO WRITE IT ON THE DISH!
6. Once your design is how you like it (remove the vinyl if used) place the dish on a baking sheet. 
7. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Once they are baked, take out of the oven and let cool completely... then you are done!

The design is supposed to be permanent at this point. I haven't washed mine yet, but would suggest hand washing them, just in case.





=====================


Trash Can Re-do (original project)
Hand Towel Hangers (idea from JoAnn at The Creamer Chronicles)
New DIY Floor Mats (ideas from Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home
Laura at Design Share, and Molly at Molly Kay Stoltz)
DIY Spoon Rest (idea from Meredith at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home)
Personalize the Cat Dishes (idea from Heather at Whipperberry)
Artwork (still figuring this out...)
Deep Clean ... blurg (oven, dishwasher, floors, fridge, microwave...)


I link up with:

Made by you Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Show me What You Got | Masterpiece Monday | Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Get Your Craft On | Your Gonna Love It | Knock Our Socks Off Party | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Mad Skills Link Party | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | The DIY Dreamer | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | We Did It Wednesday | Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party | Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | What I Learned Wednesday | DIY Thrifty Thursday | Artsy Corner Link Party | Crafty Obsession | Crafty Saturday | Lovely Crafty Weekend | Get Your Craft On | We Did It Wednesday | Give Me Goods Monday | The Weekend Creative





32 comments:

  1. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey- foolowed you over from you fb page! following now- come check me out too!?

    emmyinthemaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Just recently found three plain white dishes on the cheap for my three kitties... what fun to design their names on them.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and would like to do it for my dogs. You will have to let us know if it is truly permenant!

    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute and look so easy to make! I am sure you could create designs with all colors... Ooooh--- metallic Sharpies would be great! :)

    toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! Congrats on all the good going on your blog! It's really exciting when things start picking up and you feel like you are getting somewhere! Cheers-keep it up! I'd love for you to come by Domestic Superhero on Thursday and link these bad boys up at my Link Party! Hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love these pet dishes! They are more than cute. I have been wanting to try sharpy marker drawing on ceramics but have not yet gotten around to it..... May this spring break with the kids... :) You inspired me....

    have a very happy Easter!
    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute idea. Thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These bowls turned out soo cute. Thanks for the tutorial on how to do it. I have some bowls to try.
    I am your newest follower. Found you through Give Me the Goods Monday.
    Hope you can drop by my site and follow me too.
    Have a great week,
    Bev
    @http://eclecticredbarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried this yet, but I keep seeing it. Your dishes turned out great! I'm definitely putting it on my list. Thanks for stopping by and visiting me at Sometimes-Homemade.com!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Una idea linda!! Tengo que probarla


    casadapaulina♥jabones

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is super cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea Julia..we have a Newfoundland..PINNING

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for coming over to my blog and commenting. This way I get to come to discover you. What a cool idea. I will have to try this since I just won a Silhouette Portrait from another blogger! It's been fun thinking of new project to do so this would be a fun one. Thanks again. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your dishes. Followed you over from comment on my Cinnamon Rolls, following on facebook now

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really fun and cute idea! I love this!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely adorable!!!! Visiting from Someday Crafts Link Party....

    Sparkled Whimsy
    http://sparkledwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello back at ya :) these are so cute and adorable...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been seeing all sorts of ideas for writing on dishes. Spring break starts tomorrow and I think I am going to give this idea a try.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice and simple! I love personalized things! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Our JRT, Max, is requesting this for himself :-) Thanks for sharing this at the party this week! I am also featuring it on my Facebook page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What darling pet dishes! So cute and so easy to totally personalize them anyway you want. Love it!
    Thanks so much for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! I've been wanting to do something similar and now I know how! Found you on the POP party! Have a great day!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't have pets but would do this with my girls' cereal bowls. Great idea! One ahead of you at three Weekend Creative linky.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julia, my pups would absolutely love these! How cute. I found you at the Think Pink party. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute!! I think my cat might need some of these! ;) Congrats on the blog views and features! It's fun watching it grow, huh?!?
    Melissa@Shabby Love

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are adorable! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are to darn cute! My dog has had basic stainless dog dishes since she was a puppy, and I've been itching to give her something personalized to dine off of, maybe I'll give these a try!

    Merrit
    Label Me Organized

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is SO awesome! With 3 cats it would be good to have personalized dishes...now I'm just trying to work out if I could get them to obey and only use their own haha. Found you through More the Merrier Monday :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs