Trashy... A Failed DIY Makeover

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Do you remember the list of "to-do's" in my Add a Dash of Style to Your Kitchen Series? This one:

Trash Can Re-do (original project)
Hand Towel Hangers (idea from JoAnn at The Creamer Chronicles)
New DIY Floor Mats (ideas from Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home
Laura at Design Share, and Molly at Molly Kay Stoltz)
DIY Spoon Rest (idea from Meredith at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home)
Personalize the Cat Dishes (idea from Heather at Whipperberry)
Artwork (still figuring this out...)
Deep Clean ... blurg (oven, dishwasher, floors, fridge, microwave...)

Well, I've gotten back on track since falling behind on the series earlier this month. So far, I have completed the hand towel hangers, DIY spoon rest, and deep cleaning the dishwasher. ...And now I have finished the trash can re-do.

Sort of... I actually now own a new trash can. The plan was to take my old trash can, seen here:


paint it white and add silver polka dots ala Kate Spade as inspired by Deme at Fresh Coat of Paint:


I wanted to turn the trash can white and give it silver accents to compliment the rest of my kitchen; to be stylish, rather than to stand out.

But in reality, it was a complete flop. I attempted to prime and spray paint the trash can white, and it totally bombed. It looked like this when I finally gave up:


I couldn't get the paint to cover and to be smooth. So I gave up. And went to where else... Target, looking for a replacement. I fell in love with this trash can from Hefty (in white) and snatched it right up.

Hefty Premium Touch Lid
via
Here it is in my kitchen! See how it matches the drawer pulls in my kitchen?

So, this is one time when my failed project resulted in something pretty good!


Trash Can Re-do (original project)
Hand Towel Hangers (idea from JoAnn at The Creamer Chronicles)
New DIY Floor Mats (ideas from Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home
Laura at Design Share, and Molly at Molly Kay Stoltz)
DIY Spoon Rest (idea from Meredith at Wait Til Your Father Gets Home)
Personalize the Cat Dishes (idea from Heather at Whipperberry)
Artwork (still figuring this out...)
Deep Clean ... blurg (oven, dishwasher, floors, fridge, microwave...)

I link up with:

Made by you Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Show me What You Got | Masterpiece Monday | Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Get Your Craft On | Your Gonna Love It | Knock Our Socks Off Party | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Mad Skills Link Party | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | The DIY Dreamer | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | We Did It Wednesday | Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party | Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | What I Learned Wednesday | DIY Thrifty Thursday | Artsy Corner Link Party | Crafty Obsession | Crafty Saturday | Lovely Crafty Weekend | Get Your Craft On | We Did It Wednesday


5 comments:

  1. Spraying plastic is hard =(

    I've definitely had some craft fails before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have spray paint just for plastic. I know because I frequently stalk the isles of Home Depot and Lowe's. Sometimes, it's just best though to scrap the DIY and buy what you need! Thanks for sharing the failed makeover though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what brand of spray paint you used but I have had success with Krylon and Rustoleom for spay painting plastic. They have specific sprays dedicated to plastic materials. We recently re-painted by little brothers moped for him with it and it turned out amazing. Visiting from 'Somewhat Simple' blog party and I'm a new follower!

    Justina @ http://justinawho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all can't have perfect results each time, but you found a great work around- that's actually a handsome trashcan... (who would have thought!)

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Happy Easter Coming soon and it's always great to see creative minds at work. :)

    Visiting from KEEP CALM LINK UP @ Becoming Martha linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    Link To My Party Project This Week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it always great when something unexpectedly turns into a success? Thank you for sharing on Crafty Thursday Obsessions.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs