DIY Kindle Case Cover

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hello, again! I am not very good at delayed gratification, so I am so excited to finally share this project with you! Although there isn't any kind of official guide for blogging, I knew March wasn't the right time to share this projcet because I was focused on kitchen projects; so... here it is: A DIY Kindle Case Cover!!!


If you remember back in March, Morgan surprised me and gave me his Kindle that he no longer uses. I was incredibly excited, but couldn't wait to get my hands on a cover to decorate! {I think this means I have an addiction to DIY}

I scoured Pinterest and Google for ideas and found some that were really creative and cute:

1. {all wrapped up} Kindle case by Mommy By Day Crafter By Night 2. The Cutest DIY Kindle Cover by Seven Sisters 
3. Patchwork Kindle Case by The Sometimes Crafter 4. Sewn Kindle Case by Little Birdie Secrets 
5. Kindle Case by Dixie Mango 6. Kindle Cover from a Hardcover Book by Come Together Kids 
7. Kindle Case Tutorial by Clearly Tangled 8. DIY Kindle Fire Case by Color Me Glamorous

I knew I wanted a sturdy "reader" case rather than a pouch, so I was leaning towards the "book" styles. I looked online for basic Kindle cases, but was surprised at the high cost of just basic covers. So, I hit up my local Goodwill and found a basic black case with a magnetic clasp for $4.99! I swiped it up and headed to Hobby Lobby for more inspiration!

I went back and forth between fabric, scrapbook paper, and ribbon before finally settling on scrapbook paper because that was where I found the most patterns I liked.

What You Need:
1. Basic Kindle case to fit the size Kindle you have;
2. Mod Podge;
3. Foam Brush;
4. One large sheet of scrapbook paper (for the main cover... mine is gray chevron);
5. Another sheet of contrasting or complimentary scrapbook paper for the spine;
6. Button;
7. Hot glue gun with hot glue stick;
8. Clear packing tape;
9. Scissors
10. Any other accessories you want to add.

What to Do:
1. Lay out the open Kindle case on the back of the main scrapbook paper and trace around the outline, ignoring the clas area;
2. Cut out the scrapbook paper;
3. With the contrasting paper, lay the Kindle case on the back but trace only the dip of the spine and out about two inches;
4. Cut out this scrapbook paper as well;
5. Use your foam brush and brush on Mod Podge on the outside of the Kindle case;
6. Gently wrap the main cut out scrapbook paper around the Kindle case;
7. Brush another lay of Mod Podge on top of the scrapbook paper;
8. Close the Kindle case and let dry.

~At this point you will notice that the spine has torn, don't worry~:


9. While the main paper is drying, fold the contrasting spine paper in half, then the edges to the center;
10. Using the clear packing tape, reinforce the spine scrapbook paper by putting one strip of tape down the back center:


11. Cut off the excess tape;
12. Once the Kindle has dried (20 minutes or so) use the foam brush to brush another layer of Mod Podge just around the spine on the Kindle case;
13. Also brush Mod Podge onto the non-taped outer portions of the spine piece;
14. Gently lay the spine piece on the Kindle case, lining it up to match the top and bottom curves;
15. Press down gently so it adheres;
16. Let dry. {You are aiming for some give on the spine, so you will want a "canal" of space:


17. Take a small piece of the main scrapbook paper and cut out a piece to cover the clasp;
18. Brush Mod Podge onto the clasp, lay on the piece of scrapbook paper, then brush on a top layer of Mod Podge;
19. Let dry;
20. Once dry, use your hot glue gun to attach the button.


At this point you can be done, but I added a cute pair of glasses to mine as well. Use the same procedure you used for the clasp to adhere the glasses to the front.


Let everything dry completely, then pop in your Kindle! Voila!

 

I party at these great blogs!

41 comments:

  1. SO cute! I especially love the yellow button!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy with how it turned out! :-)

      Delete
  2. Gray and Chevron...two of my favorites!
    Looks great,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so stinkin' cute!! The glasses were the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, your case turned out so cute! I would love for you to come link up to my friend Heather & I's link party > http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2013/04/circle-of-faith-link-party-1.html There are no rules so you can link up whatever you'd like! Hope to see you there,

    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha that's funny every time i like something on a link party and click on it, I end up in your blog, I think that means something!!! So cool!!!!

    That's a nice idea, I need one for mine!!! Thanks for sharing :D

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! You did great. I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-diyers-and-more-curtains.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! You did an awesome job! Thanks so much for partying with us at Time to Sparkle Tuesday : )

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! So cute and such a good idea! I've been wanting a cover for my kindle, but have never been inspired enough to part with the money! I love this idea!!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Love it! http://pinkgerberdaisies-kady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julia, I am nominating you for the liebster award!!! Come over and check it here: http://prettyelements.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/liebster-award-nomination.html

    Enjoy and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!! Love the grey chevron! Would love to have you share at my party!
    http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/04/homemade-by-you-46.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea. I love e-reader covers and I love the chevron. Thanks for sharing! I’d love for you to visit us at Get Your Crap Together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! Love the pattern you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the girl that bought the highly priced but super cute book cover! Where was was this then? lol This so cute! If I ever decide to stop using the one I have....I am totally doing this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely adorable! thank you so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. Make sure to come back next week! - Kristen www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I love the case you made...much cuter than the one I bought. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is totally awesome! I have a nook and this idea just might fit the bill. I love you blog so I thought it would be great to nominate you for an ABC Award. You can see it at http://lsmcreation.com/2013/04/12/the-abc-award/ .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Julie, Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your Kindle cover is so cute. Now you've got me thinking about ways to spruce up my own cover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so awesome - I love that you just personalized a cheap case! It's so cute! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come by if you have a minute and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for the feature! I will certainly be by to link up in this weeks party! Thank you!

      Delete
  20. This is so cute! Love the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! I love the fabric you used and the color combo. The glasses are a great touch. Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so much fun, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Sunday Julia,

    Thanks for visiting AshbeeDesign.com and commenting. I was the post before you on The Weekend Creative. I am ok with some power tools- band saw, miter saw, drill press, sanders, But I am not okay with skill saw or a router. I ask my husband then!

    Spent sometime exploring your archives and blog. Love the glasses on the kindle case. Marji

    ReplyDelete
  24. So fabulous! I love this. Thanks so much for linking up at Crafty Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the chevron! Great idea, thank you for sharing!
    I’d love it if you share this on Much Ado About Monday with Huckleberry Love!

    Karla
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/04/much-ado-about-monday-no-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. CONGRATS!!
    You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer!! Come on over and grab your featured button, you deserve it! http://thediydreamer.com/from-dream-to-reality/features-62/

    Don't forget to swing by this evening to link up to the next From Dream To Reality party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this, it looks awesome! :) I just wanted to stop by & let you know that I will be featuring you today at the Circle of Faith link party, it'll be posted at 5 & open at 6 pm tonight.> http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/ You can grab a featured button from "my link party buttons" page, hope your having a great week!,

    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,

    Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I featured your Kindle case today! Have a great week. :0)

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! That is so sweet of you!

      Delete
  29. Super cute! Love it!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my gosh, this is so adorable! I have an old plain kindle case that I definitely need to recover so I will use it again! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cute! My boyfriend has a kindle case that I think is nasty. I may have to hijack it and DIY him a new one! He'd just love that... hahaha. Thanks for the inspiration :).

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh this is super cute! love the gray chevron with yellow button♥

    huggies♥
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  33. The little glasses add the perfect finishing touch! Super cute and pinnable!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a clever idea. Pinning it and doing it for my son for Christmas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great way to make your Kindle case a reflection of you! I love the glasses! Visiting from Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market. Be Well--The Lady Kay

    http://theliberalladykay.com/a-wicked-wreath-for-halloween/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs