Dressed up for the Show

Saturday, May 4, 2013

If you follow me on Pinterest you may have an idea of what new DIY project is on my to-do... revamping a dresser to use as a TV console!



It all started while browsing Craigslist for a Mid-Century chair for my bedroom. I've been toying with the idea of finding a dresser to use as a TV console and then I found this listing:


I was so excited to find this! Mahogany furniture is not regularly listed on Craigslist or found at Goodwill here in Albuquerque, but it's what I grew up with, so I wanted this piece. Like, WANTED! So, I contacted the seller to see if it was available still... and it was! After e-mailing back-and-forth and lining up Morgan (and his brother's help to get it here, since I didn't want a repeat of the Brasilia near-disaster) I e-mailed to line up the time to pick it up. Then waited...

And waited...

Then I got an e-mail asking if I was still interested because she hadn't heard from me and had other people who were interested. My heart nearly jumped to my chest! I e-mailed back (twice) right away to make sure she got my e-mail. Thankfully she did and we picked the dresser up this morning!

Here is what my TV stand looked like before (as of this a.m.):


Here is what my new TV stand will look like (pictures from the Craigslist ad):






The dresser is from Dixie Furniture Company out of the Carolina's. I can't wait to do some more research on this!


I am going to paint the dresser, but I'm not sure exactly in what color/pattern. I've pinned a ton of ideas to my "dressers" board. Swing by and be sure to tell me how you think I should paint it! I am so, so excited!

{I party at these blogs.}


13 comments:

  1. Great piece of furniture. I am sure you will do a great job as soon as you chose what to do. Planning is always the hardest part of a project to me. I have started painting a set of chairs and have totally changed my mind mid-stream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that gray and red dresser you have pinned! But I see this one in a cream or teal chalk paint, lightly distressed. Good luck deciding!

    Visiting from Flamingo Toes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is an idea for your dresser....

    http://www.hopeandsalvage.com/2013/04/spring-green.html

    It is basically the same shape as yours and I think mahogany also. You will have trouble with getting the red out.

    Best of luck,
    La Verne
    hopeandsalvage.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you decide on with the dresser! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is one great dresser. It will be exciting to see her all painted. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this great post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is currently live. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/05/make-it-pretty-monday-week-48.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful dresser! I would paint it a bright and fun color, and then distress it a little. I just painted a dresser aqua mint and I loved it! (http://www.revolutionariesblog.com/2013/04/before-after-aqua-mint-dresser.html)
    I'm visiting from Keeping It Simple.. hope you have a great week!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be super great refinished. I have a lot of great dark cherry furniture in my house that came from an old bank. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia, I found you on Crafty Thursday Obsessions link. The dresser is very much the same style as my Grandmother's dresser (hers has small set of drawers between the larger ones). Look forward to seeing what you do with this dresser. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome find! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome! The first step is finding a good piece to makeover, right? Good luck! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece! I can't wait to see the finished project! Thanks for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, this will be a great piece, I cannot wait to see how you refinish it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your find! I've been looking for one like it to use as a buffet/server in my dining room. I looked at your board and love the stenciled pieces, especially the trellis design and the green and white stenciled chest. I think it would also be pretty with a painted antiqued finish. The thought process is the toughest part. I went through the same thing with my french provincial chest and nightstand. I had it more than a year until I decided to leaf it. Feel free to check out my blog post on it here, http://diyprojectsbynina.blogspot.com/2012/05/aluminum-silver-leafed-french.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs