Celebration Donut Cake

Monday, June 10, 2013

Last week I was on the hunt for a fun birthday cake idea I could replicate for Morgan's birthday. I scoured Pinterest, but all the cakes I found were either too traditional, way beyond my skill set, or not... right. I finally turned off the computer (I know... is that possible?) and thought about our friendship. One of our favorite things to indulge in together is donuts! Enter the donut cake!

Stacked Doughnut Donut Cake

This is a pretty non-traditional cake (obviously), but it was perfect for a mid-twenties birthday. I think it would also be great to serve on the morning of a kids sleepover birthday party or even on the last day of school!

Celebration Donut Cake

I used six glazed donuts, three sprinkled donuts, five glazed donut holes, and three sprinkled donut holes. On the first row, place down one donut, then you will trim one donut to fit next to it (kind of like a puzzle piece), then repeat with the third and fourth donuts. On the fifth donut, you will cut parts out on two sides so it lays flat and fits in perfectly.

Doughnut cake

Row two is the same technique, just using three sprinkled donuts. For row three, lay out the donut holes next to one another. Row four is one glazed donut, and the top layer is three sprinkled donut holes. 

Donuts with sprinkles

Of course a birthday cake isn't complete without candles, so I added candles to the sprinkled donut holes! 

Doughnut Birthday Cake with candles

I think Morgan was pretty surprised when I showed up at his place yesterday morning with a donut cake in hand, candles lit, when he opened the door! 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MORGAN!

You can use any types of donuts you like, but I think the sprinkles are pretty festive! What other occasions do you think a celebration donut cake would be good for? Would you ever make one yourself?

{I party with these blogs.}

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh--two of the greatest things in the world coming together as one.. yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Plus, I totally agree! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I might have to do this for my husband for father's day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a donut cake! And you could make so many different versions with different kinds of donuts! What a fun idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and fun! Love it! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up!! This looks SO yummy!!

    xo
    amy
    http://theblissfulbee.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Making me hungry looking at these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! We did a donuts bar for one of my girls parties once. They got to decorate their own donuts. It's super fun and nice to have something slightly different from cake. :) Yours turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds delicious!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-linky-party-20/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just checking out the links at Pin It Monday Hop and saw the words "donut cake". I had to find out what that was! This is such a great idea. My hubby doesn't care for traditional cake, but sure would love this one! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! We do this for our family birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a good idea! Donut + Cake = Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! My kids would go nuts over one of these! Great for early morning birthdays before the family and friends arrive too!

    Sam
    http://cooksandcreates.blogspot.com/

    (Visiting from Piggy in Polka Dots)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute idea~ Happy 4th of July :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs