DIY Hinged-Top Camera Case

Saturday, July 6, 2013

A few months ago, I bought a new camera from Target. It was a screaming deal that I just couldn't pass up on. A $200+ camera on sale for $99 with a $30 gift card. It was love at first picture. What I didn't love was the questionable selection of camera cases. So, what's a crafty gal to do? I made my own of course! Before diving in, I looked around for inspiration and found it in many cases (herehere, here, here, here, here, here). After getting my ideas together, I made my own and want to share with you how you can make one too!

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}
I started with a granola bar box from Target. The box had a hinged top once it was opened and it was the exact depth of my camera. Look around in your cupboards and recycling to see what boxes you have laying around that are the same depth as your camera.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

The first step is to determine how tall the case needs to be. I put my camera in it and used a marker to draw a line at the height that it needed to but cut to.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

The box was also wider than my camera. So, you will need to cut the box into the width needed. Then overlap the two pieces and hot glue them together.

The next step and the trickiest, is to work on the hinged part. You want to have the inlay on both edges, so you will need to cut the top in half and overlap, just like you did with the body of the case.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

Then you need to piece together another layer of cardboard so that the entire case, except for the top and the flap, are two layers of cardboard. You will need to mark out where the flap will lay on the front of the case. In this place, do not put a second layer of cardboard. The flap will be the second layer.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

I chose to line my case with the same wrapping paper I used for my bookcase update. For this, I used spray adhesive to get it to stay. Fold the edges of the paper onto the outside of the case, because you will be covering it.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

Then it's time to get creative! I used felt to cover mine, but you can use fabric or scrapbook paper too! I used buttons and contrasting felt for more depth and detail. For the "lens" I made a circle out of additional thing cardboard then hot glued felt onto it. On the back of the "lens" I put a piece of adhesive velcro, with the mate on the body of the camera case.

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

Quick Summary:
DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

Finished Camera Case:

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

DIY Camera Case tutorial {It's Always Ruetten}

I have been using my camera case for almost five months and it is super durable! Who is going to make one?

{I party with these blogs.}

5 comments:

  1. So cute! I love recycle projects.

    Take Care,
    Mandy Jean
    www.mandyjeanchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Come share it at our weekly linky party http://www.theprincessandhercowboys.com/2013/07/on-display-monday-9.html

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your creativity! Isn't it amazing what you can make out of a few simple items? Great Job! Visiting from D&D's Project Inspire{d} Link Party!

    Stephanie @ BeeTreeStudios
    http://BeeTreeStudios.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great fabric and color picks. Love the creativity. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! Love the upcycling and the black and pink together! Thank you for sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs