Drab to Draper

Sunday, July 28, 2013

As a thrifter I live by the mantra: "If you wait, you will find it" (said in the Field of Dreams way). I have been very lucky to find some great furniture and decor pieces at thrift stores, consignment shops, and on Craigslist. I think my greatest find has been my bedroom dresser at a garage sale last summer. This is what started my mid-century decorating obsession wishlist.

Since getting my dresser, it's been my goal to furnish my bedroom in a mid-century decor (but not be kitschy or go broke doing it). When I found my Moroccan headboard, the only item left on my wishlist was two mid-century chairs. Doing a quick Google search, I knew the best Danish chairs were super pricey. But I wasn't willing to shell out too much to get what I wanted (of course). That's when Goodwill became the hero of this story.This is the story of two drab-to-Draper chairs...

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair
On a random weekend in May, I stopped in at Goodwill and found these two chairs just waiting for me. I approached them hesitantly because I didn't want to be disappointed by their price. I've found that as the popularity of DIY has increased, so have the prices at thrift shops (and it makes me so mad). Has that happened at your local thrift shops, too? So when I finally got close enough to them to see the tag attached and found this price, I jumped for joy:

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair

Yes, you are seeing that correctly: $4.99. Two perfect mid-century chairs for under $10! I didn't even take the time to walk to the front to get a cart but instead carried them both directly to the checkout. It was all I could do to contain my smile. 

The chairs are in great structural condition, but the fabric certainly left much to be desired. One of the chairs had a big stain on the back part of the chair. How is that even possible? No, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair

Before jumping into re-covering them, I lived with them in their current state for awhile. I didn't want to make a quick choice for new fabric and then end up hating it. I ended up finding not just great, but perfect fabric at the mecca (aka Ikea) when I was in Minneapolis.

It's called Akerkulla and sells (currently for $6.99/yard. After covering both chairs, I have enough left to make a few pillow slipcovers. 

I covered both seats easily, but the backs did not come off, so they were much trickier to get re-covered. The first chair I covered, I was able to push the fabric between the back piece and the wood on the sides, but on the second, I couldn't squeeze the fabric through. So I fiddled with it and ended up folding the fabric over and stapling the fabric tightly underneath. 

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair

It's definitely far from perfect, but works for me! I made sure that this chair (the "delicate one," as I call it) is the one that has the pillow on it because it keeps Ricky off of it... meaning he won't pull the fabric off if he wanted to scratch it.

I love everything about my new chairs. They are gorgeous, streamlined and absolutely the perfect mid-century chair at the perfect price!

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair

I haven't been able to find any information online about the maker of the chair. Do you know anything about K.D. Furniture?

Mad Men Inspired Chair Makeover K.D. Sun Furniture | It's Always Ruetten

Another parting picture for you with a peak of my Brasilia nightstand!

Drab to Draper: Mad Men Inspired Mid-Century Chair Makeover | It's Always Ruetten | #Madmen #Draper #MCM #mid-century #retro #chair

Do you have any great thrifting finds recently? I don't always find what I'm looking for, but I always start looking for my wishlist items at thrift stores! I hope you do too!

{I party with these blogs.}

26 comments:

  1. Your chairs were an amazing find at a great price. I love the fabric you used.
    I just went to GoodWill the other day and they had a French Provincial triple dresser for $180!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good find at goodwill. Yeah I noticed the prices are going way up. Love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what you can find at Goodwill! Your chairs are amazing. The fabric is fun! I posted DIY Doily Jacket this week)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Goodwill store too! This is a great transformation./

    Thank you,
    Ellya

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful revamp and a great bargain.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing! That fabric is just perfect for those chairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great find!!! The fabric is perfect and I love the Brasilia night stand

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Love that fabric, I have a thing for black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those chairs are awesome. What a steel! You did a great job with them.

    Pam @ ThisHouseOurHome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! That fabric is so pretty!
    Morgaine @ Madcap Frenzy
    P.S. I would love if you would link up any of your awesome posts at my July Totally Tuesday Link Party: http://madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-totally-tuesday-link-party.html
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! I'm needing some new dining room chairs, so have just started looking at Goodwill. I saw this on Work It Wednesday. I'm actually posting this entire week about Goodwill upcycles. I'd love for you to come by for a visit! :)
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner
    http://ginascraftcorenr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I think you did such an amazing job on these! You are quite talented! I am a new follower and would love a follow back. My blog link is: http://ylindo01.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing your creative projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chairs look fabulous, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! I always want to do something fabulous with furniture from Goodwill. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny, I call IKEA the "holy land." LOL. Yes, the prices at our local Goodwill have gone up a lot too. I go there on occasion but stick to Savers because of the prices.

    Great job on the makeover! The fabric is perfect for the style of these chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your chairs. I recovered one almost exactly like yours. If you go to my post you'll see how the back might come apart: http://charlieandjo.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/how-do-i-take-it-apart/
    Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work. I love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun project! I love the pattern. You've been Featured... thanks so much for coming to share at Super Saturday Show & Tell. http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com stop on by and grab a Featured button and I'd love to have you share again :) xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great! I am sure they are perfect in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is a huge improvement! Looks great!

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am LOVING all of your thrifting goodness! I don't buy anything unless I've looked ALL OVER thrift stores first! I've recently found a thrift shop called "High Places" and they literally GIVE things away! I have gotten so many things but my fav. is an old modern desk i got for $10!! And it doesn't even need any refinishing!! I need to start sharing my thrift shop finds!! I would love it if you would come over to my link party and share this project!
    http://gracelangdon.blogspot.com/2013/08/making-monday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your chairs turned out fabulous and love how named this post. Wanted to let you know I'm featuring them when my link party opens up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopping by to let you know I am featuring your cool Draper Chairs tomorrow on Made in a Day! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am with you. I always believe if you wait for that special piece you are looking for, you will find what you need at a thrift store or garage sale, or sometimes, even next to a dumpster! Love the makeover, the chairs look fantastic, and you can't beat that price! Thanks for sharing at Redoux. -k

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the chairs and the fabric you've chosen! It doesn't matter that they're not perfect if they hardly cost a penny! I've renovated some myself recently, if you fancy taking a look I blogged about them here. http://clarewillcocks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/shabby-chic-chairs-with-polkadot-seats.html It took me ages to choose the fabric too, right up until the lady in the shop started cutting I kept changing my mind!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs