Easy "Green" Drain Unclogger

Monday, July 15, 2013

Welcome to the week everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend and are ready to jump head-first into Monday! This weekend I did a major clean of my apartment. Every out-of-place thing in each room was picked up and put away. I know it's simple, but wow, what a difference.

When I was cleaning my bathroom, I noticed my bathroom sink was draining slowly. Gross. But I didn't have any Draino that I usually use, so I made my own "green" drain unclogger using vinegar! I was hoping the vinegar wold work as well here as it did in my dishwasher!

Easy DIY All-Natural Drain Unclogger | It's Always Ruetten |  #green #vinegar

This "green" drain unclogger is easy to make and super effective. Plus it is much cheaper than any brand-name drain unclogger.

What You Need:
Baking Soda
White Vinegar
1/4 Cup Measuring Cup

What To Do:
1. Measure out 1/4 cup of baking soda and pour over the clogged drain (if you can, remove the drain cover before doing this... if you can't just pour it over and push some around the drain cover).
2. Pour 1/4 cup of vinegar into the measuring cup and pour over the baking soda and drain. It will bubble up.
3. Let sit a few seconds.
4. Pour another 1/4 cup of vinegar into the measuring cup and pour around (or over) the remaining baking soda.
5. Let sit a few seconds.
6. There will be a small amount of baking soda left in the sink. Slowly pour a very small amount of vinegar in the sink.
7. Let sit a few seconds.
8. Run warm water into the sink and there you go!

Easy DIY All-Natural Drain Unclogger | It's Always Ruetten |  #green #vinegar

Easy DIY All-Natural Drain Unclogger | It's Always Ruetten |  #green #vinegar

Easy DIY All-Natural Drain Unclogger | It's Always Ruetten |  #green #vinegar

Isn't vinegar amazing? I can't believe this worked so well and quickly! What do you use vinegar for outside of cooking?

{I party with these blogs.}

15 comments:

  1. It's true -- I've been reading so many posts about the wonders of vinegar :) My drains are always running slow so I'll give this a try since I just bought a gallon of white vinegar to use for weed killer (vinegar + little dish soap + little salt and water)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool trick! I will have to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this for my bathtub and it worked wonders. After I packed my drain and poured the vinegar, I put the stopper in to push the reaction further down the drain.

    Thanks so much for sharing! I would love it if you stopped by my cleaning blog.

    Angela @Angela Says

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I will be trying that when I get home!
    kathryntallandstrong.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite drain cleaner! Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use vinegar, soda and hydrogen peroxide for a multitude of purposes so why not drain cleaner!! Thanks so very much for sharing.

    We would like to invite you to party with us at 5:00 on Thursday evenings at the new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your creative ideas. . Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use it to kill weeds around my house. It's great stuff!

    Allen
    http://funnybabyvids.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vinegar solves everything! Wow! Ill have to try this the next time we have a clog. Go vinegar! ;)

    Im stopping by from the Frugal girls. I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party! http://thegrantlife.com/link-party-financial-friday-718/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did this just the other day and it WORKED!!!! andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. That makes perfect sense! So glad that you shared this with us this week at Monday Funday! Have a great week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips for a pesky household problem! Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip and tutorial. Wanted to let you know I'm featuring this when my link party opens up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vinegar truly is amazing when it comes to getting things cleaned. I would suggest that you mix vinegar with orange extracts for an effective cleaner for appliances and to unclog sinks. I would also suggest that you throw in a little dishwashing liquid to cover the pungent smell. Good day! :)

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing CA

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we share the same de-clogging recipe here, Julia. Haha! Well, baking soda and vinegar are really popular cleaning buddies. They’re cheap, yet effective. Not to mention that they’re also eco-friendly, so no worries to expensive cleaning up. :)

    James Warren

    ReplyDelete
  15. Water pipes, especially in old houses like yours, should be well-maintained and repaired accordingly to prevent more serious damages. And though you said that your sink was overly clogged, it's good to hear that all you needed was a gallon of vinegar, and that no major and more expensive repair was needed. Keep your pipes and drain clean.clogged drain cleaning baltimore

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs