Classic Chili Recipe

Monday, September 16, 2013

One of my favorite foods to eat all throughout the year is chili (or Texas chili, as it's known in New Mexico). I admit that I usually eat chili that comes in a can. But I haven't been able to find my absolute favorite chili brand (Nalley's) in New Mexico. So... I googled and pinterested it and only found a vegetarian recipe. As a full-on meat-eater, I took their recipe and made it with meat!

Classic Chili recipe for Fall from It's Always Ruetten

{If you missed the first two soups in my 6 Soups September series, click here and here.}

If I tried this blind, I wouldn't say that it is Nalley's chili (it's too sweet), but I am still adding this to my cookbook as a recipe to make again and again!

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
Olive Oil
1 pound ground beef
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 15oz can plain tomato sauce
3 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon chili seasoning (like McCormick spice packet)
2 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 cans light kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
1. In a soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent (about 7-10 minutes);
2. Once the onions are translucent, add in the ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon until cooked through;
3. Once the meat is cooked, add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili seasoning, chili powder, honey, soy sauce, and salt and bring to a simmer;
4. Once simmering, turn down the heat and let slowly simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally;
5. After an hour, add in the kidney beans and cook for an additional 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Serve with shredded cheese and cornbread!

Nalley's Chili recipe from It's Always Ruetten

{I party with these blogs.}

12 comments:

  1. Yum, looks delicious! And perfect now that the weather is starting to get cold! In case you didn't see it earlier, I featured this on my blog today! I'm stopping by to pin, and to let you know you can grab a Featured button if you don't already have one! http://practicallyfunctional.com/13-comfort-food-recipes-for-fall/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chili and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia this chilli looks so yummy! I haven't made or found a chilli recipe using honey and soy sauce before but it looks so delicious I will have to give a try. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from the Someday Crafts link party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. We don't make chili often but I love it when we do.

    Thanks so much for sharing at the Pinworthy Projects Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! Come link up with us at Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com! I'd love to see these on our link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chilli too. I'll give this recipe a go, Thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Football season and a new chili recipe! I'm in Heaven. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do love us some good chili....:)
    Over from A Pretty Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am usually doing the opposite and trying to work out whether I can do a veg version for the non-meat eaters :-) I'm just discovering all the old Texan chilli recipes which look amazing.

    We're sharing spicy chilli & curry recipes at Empty Your Archive this week and I would love for you to share this - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/empty-your-archive-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chili is the all time perfect meal right before you send the kids out trick or treating. Filling and warm before they get a ton of candy. What smart timing, and a great recipe.
    We would love to have you share with us at our weekly Super Saturday Link Party. http://www.madefrompinterest.net/2013/10/super-saturday-link-party-13/ Your recipes and ideas would be a hit with our crowd. It would be our honor to have you join us!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's a game day without chili? Great addition to the linkup :) Thanks for joining in the fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs