Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It was ridiculously hot here in Albuquerque this weekend. When I was out running errands on Sunday, my car thermometer read 98°! Hopefully this is the last push from summer and we can move on to fall. As I told you about at the end of last month, I am sharing six soup recipes this month to prepare for fall. But with nearly 100° temps here, I eased myself into it with Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. This is an easy way to ease into fall when it's still so warm out.

Healthy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe from It's Always Ruetten

My inspiration for this soup didn't come from Panera Bread (where I learned it sort of originated from), but from the wedding I went to last month. The bride's colors were yellow, gray, and white, so the family had leftover lemons and gave me an entire bag! After pinteresting lemon soups, I found this recipe and modified it a bit to fit what I had on hand.

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
3 carrots, cut into one inch chunks
2/3 cup Orzo pasta
1 1/2 celery stalks, cut into one inch chunks
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 dried bay leaf
1/4 cup lemon juice (juice from one-and-a-half fresh lemons)
Zest from half lemon
1 cup cooked chicken
2 cans fat free and low sodium chicken broth
8 oz baby spinach
Water
Olive oil
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. In a small pot, parboil the orzo in salted water for half of the time called for on the package
2. In a large soup pot heat olive oil (just enough to use for the purpose) and add onions, carrots, and celery
3. Cook until vegetables start to soften and onion becomes translucent
4. Add in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds
5. Add in the Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and a little salt and pepper
6. Cook for an additional 30 seconds or so
7. Add in the two cans of chicken broth and an additional three cans worth of water
8. Bring the liquid to a boil, then turn down temperature and partially cover
9. Cook until the vegetables are tender
10. Drain orzo and add it to the liquid mixture
11. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and chicken
12. Continue cooking until chicken is warmed through and orzo is fully cooked
13. Stir in spinach and let wilt for a few minutes
14. Once spinach is wilted then the soup is ready to serve and eat!

Healthy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe from It's Always Ruetten

This soup was delicious! Perfect for the transitioning weather. The lemon is subtle but just enough and it really makes the soup pop. I haven't actually had the Panera Bread soup, but I'm sure it is great too!

Healthy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe from It's Always Ruetten

{I party with these blogs.}

8 comments:

  1. I am going to try out this recipe. It looks delicious! Visiting from the inspiration gallery and a new follower ~ please follow me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size was your can of chicken broth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! The cans are 14.5 oz. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  3. This looks really good! I'm pinning so I can try it out. Hubby isn't a soupmonger, but I am so this will be great for my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love lemon and chicken together, I think it's a great combo! Thanks for sharing it at the Pinworthy Project Party on Planned in Pencil, I'm pinning this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks amazing! Thanks for sharing at the Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop! Have a wonderful day!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to make this today! My husband has a terrible cold and I was looking for a good recipe. This sounds PERFECT! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so now I know what we are having for dinner tonight! I am so excited. Always love to see healthy recipes here on the net. Thanks so much for sharing...
    Pinning and cooking!!
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs