Big, Bad Bedroom Budget Breakdown

Monday, October 21, 2013

Take that for a post title, alliteration!

I admit that I have let an incredible amount of time pass between sharing my bedroom reveal and today's bedroom budget breakdown. I think the saying is: "better late than never;" and I am deploying it now. It happens. Between my computer dying, my September soups series, and other projects I've been working on, I just fell behind schedule.

But enough with the apologizing! It's time for me to share how you can achieve a great navy, coral, and white bedroom of your own for only $300 (and that's including all of the furniture!)!

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips for finding furniture on Craigslist!

I budgeted in three areas: furniture, accessories, and bedding. I wanted to invest more of my money into furniture because that's the most permanent part of the room. So, who's ready for my budget breakdown?! I hope you are able to take away some tips on how you can furnish and decorate a bedroom on a budget too!

Let's start with where my real savings began and why I will never buy a set of furniture retail. I was able to buy an entire set of bedroom furniture (7 pieces!) for under $160! Not only are the pieces solid wood, but they are vintage and worth a whole lot more than I paid!

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips for finding furniture on Craigslist!
I have shared before on my bedroom furniture (dresser, chairs, bedside table, and headboard), so you know that I purchased everything from thrift shops and antique stores (and the fabric from IKEA!). 

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips for finding furniture on Craigslist!

Anyone who shops second-hand knows that you will rarely see the same piece twice. So I've pulled together (via Craigslist) a couple of great finds just to show how many great deals are out there... in all parts of the country.

How to use Craigslist to find affordable headboards
Clockwise from top left:
1. Twin Headboard - Charleston, Indiana - $20
2. Sedona, Arizona - $35
3. Full Bed Set (with rails and foot board!) - Charlotte, North Carolina - $75
4. King Headboard - St. Louis, Missouri - $60


Use Craigslist to find Mid Century dressers!
Top-to-Bottom
2. Dresser with mirror - Huntington, Massachusetts - $85
3. Bassett dresser - Shawnee, Oklahoma - $80
4. Dresser with mirror - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - $100

Use Craigslist to find Danish-style chairs!
Top-to-Bottom
1. "Rex Hospital" chairs - Raleigh, North Carolina - $20
2. Pair of chairs - Brooklyn,  New York - $60
3. His/Hers chairs - Vermont - $80
4. Teak Chair - Denver, Colorado - $20
5. Retro Chairs - Green Bay, Wisconsin - $29
6. Danish teak chair - Austin, Texas - $40

Next up is my bedding. Like I had mentioned in my mood board post, I decided to purchase a white bedspread because it is more versatile and I can use it as I decide to change up my decor. 

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips for finding furniture on Craigslist!
I did a split online/thrift store/retail purchase to get all of the bedding exactly as I wanted. The white pillowcases and white bed skirt were purchased at my local Savers for under $7. The bed skirt is Mainstays and can be purchased here for full price ($12.97 for a white, full-size). I found the coral blanket (which is actually a duvet cover) on eBay. It is the perfect salmon-coral-pink color. There aren't any tags on the blanket, so I am not sure the brand. 

I was over the moon when I found an accent pillow in the exact same shade at Home Goods for under $9. The pillow is Calvin Klein and I have also seen it at TJ Maxx and in a few different shapes and textures. Then came the adventure of the blue pillow. I originally bought this cute eyeglass pillow, but quickly realized it was too kitschy (but isn't it cute?).

Super cute eyeglasses pillow!

At this point I was also bumping up against my budget (hence the red sheets because I was waiting to see how much I would have to spend on my white bedspread). That's when inspiration hit and I used this tutorial to make my own envelope case out of the IKEA fabric I recovered the chairs in!

How to make an envelope pillow case

Voila! The perfect pillows came together after a few trips to TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and my own craft dresser!

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips on decorating on a budget!

To wrap up the bedding, I purchased a bedspread from Burlington Coat Factory for a ridiculously low price - only $16.04 (with tax). It is a heavy knit white queen bedspread that is perfect for every ridiculously hot part of the year.

Last up are the accessories! It was a lot of fun picking out (and making) the accessories for this bedroom. I feel this is really the part where the coral and navy really make their mark! I am going to share with you the reveal of the lamps I spray painted and a tutorial for making the framed plates later this week. But until then, here is the breakdown of what I spent on the accessories (including the curtain I shared with you here)! 

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips on decorating on a budget!

What do you think? Are there any areas I could have saved money? Do you budget for your decorating or do you purchase things you like and then have a straight-talk with your wallet? 

Get the Look: How to Decorate a Coral, Navy, and White Bedroom for $300! Great tips on decorating on a budget!

And for all of you smarty-pants math folks reading this, you're right, I didn't actually stay within my $300 budget. In the end, I spent $300.68. Oh, so close!

{I party with these blogs.}

12 comments:

  1. I like how you did your budgets in pie charts, really makes it obvious where your spending money when you see it like that. I think we can let you off for .68 cents, its looking really good you should be really happy with what youve created on your budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful and on such a tiny budget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so gorgeous! I have recently made over a retro sideboard & dresser for my lounge. I much prefer old furniture, so much more interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously LOVING your bedroom makeover. Your budget is awesome.
    Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You done a great job on a small budget. Love the chairs!
    Marie @ www.fortledbetter.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the breakdown and the colors. I'm re-doing my bedroom in navy and coral as well. It's such a great color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, and kudos for the effort! It has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! Thanks for all the info. I'm getting ready to update our master bedroom and it is really helpful to see your great finds. Speaking of, I CANNOT believe you got those chairs for ten bucks. And the dresser? Seriously?!? It is one of my goals to get working on my thrifting skills. Great inspiration! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did a really great job! Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job doing a makeover for $300! Craigslist and Goodwill are awesome places to get great deals! I really like the navy and coral color combination! Thank you so much for linking this up to Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for linking up at All Things Pretty. I hope to see you again tomorrow at @ http://myfashionforwardblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You might have it on here somewhere but what is your wall color. I am doing navy/coral and looking for a taupe brown to match

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs