Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice (made with four pantry staple spices)

I feel like it's somewhat of an overstatement to call this a "recipe" or even call it "homemade." But, when I ran out of pumpkin pie spice, I realized that the four spices listed on the McCormick bottle could easily be made on an as-needed basis. While this really isn't any cheaper than spending $3 or more on pre-made pumpkin pie spice, it is good to know... just in case! 

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
I bet you already have the four spices in your pantry  (or wouldn't mind adding them to your stash, like I had to do). To make your own pumpkin pie spice you will need ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground allspice. I thought a ratio was more helpful than actual measurements, so start with the ginger and nutmeg and then double whatever measurement you used for the cinnamon and half it for the allspice. I guess it is homemade since there is blending involved!

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice - just like McCormick's!

If you make more than you need be sure to store the extra in an air-tight container (or in an old spice jar!).

Do you make your own spice mixes or use store-bought ones?

{I party with these blogs.}

16 comments:

  1. Okay - so let's make sure I got this right (math is not my strong point)
    1 teaspoon of ginger and nutmeg, then double that to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, but then half of it for 1/2 teaspoon of allspice? I think I got it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for your advice!
    If you want partecipe to my Link Party La Domenica in Compagnia
    One kiss
    Nina di Fragola e Cannella

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! I'm not daring enough to mix my own. Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I have all these spices in my cupboard but not the Pumpkin spice. Gotta give this a try later. Thanks! I'd love it if you shared it on our linkup party this week! http://www.mylifeoftravelsandadventures.com/2013/10/trick-or-treat-part-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of pumpkin pie spice for years have made mine own as well
    shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never have pumpkin pie spiece, I always just wing it, but thanks for breaking down the components for us at the Pinworthy Project Party, I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happily featuring you on Tickled Pink Times Two at our next party. I hope to see you there :)
    Make it a pink day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog from the Fall Recipes round up by Stephanie Lynn. This is such a useful recipe, since I always run out of pumpkin pie spice and have all of those ingredients in my pantry. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I go through a ton of pumpkin pie spice come fall and winter, it's helpful to know how to make it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to make my own too, thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never thought of this. Love Pumpkin pie spice in my coffee. I'm going to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so good to know! I was just trying to buy pumpkin pie spice a few weeks ago, and the store I was at only have one brand of it, and it was $7! I didn't buy it because of the price. Now I know how to make my own. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love pumpkin spice! While we appreciate your tasty recipe, Outside [the Box] link party is geared toward DIY, Crafty, and Home Decor. We hope to see some of your amazing projects instead!

    Thanks! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admit to buying it.. but you make it sound so easy to make my own!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs