How to get Organized for Fall

Thursday, October 17, 2013

I've completed my great clothing season swap of 2013. Last weekend I put away all of my spring/summer clothes and pulled out my fall/winter ones. Good news is... I still fit in all of my clothes from last season (actually better than I did when I put them away last year)! Bad news... I now have clothing totes stored next to my extra bedding and all my wreaths on the top shelf of my closet (curse you, no-storage-apartment).

So, when Katie F. contacted me offering to write a guest post, I knew exactly what I (and hopefully you too) need tips on: fall organization for those with limited space. Katie was more than happy to share her tips, so without further ado, I present: How to get Organized for Fall!



Cooler temperatures, pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween decorations in every store can only mean one thing: fall has officially arrived. The transition to fall is the perfect opportunity to take a minute and get your home organized before getting caught up in the craziness of the quickly-approaching holiday season. 

Even if you’re working with limited space, there are plenty of easy ways to get your home ready for fall. Use these five simple fall organization ideas to tidy up and get your space prepared for whatever the season brings: 

1. Instead of tossing your jacket or raincoat onto the couch or the back of a chair, make sure there are hooks or a coat rack hanging by your front door. If you have shelves hanging by the door, try installing ceiling hooks underneath for extra coat and scarf storage space.

2. Keep metal or cloth storage bins by your front door to hold wet or muddy shoes and boots. Placing a decorative bench in your foyer provides a place to hide the bins if you want to keep them out of view. It’s also a nice idea to keep a couple pairs of slippers by the front door for yourself or visitors who don’t want to track mud into the apartment. 

3. Sadly, it’s just about time to put away the flower pots that sat on your doorstep, windowsill or balcony all summer long. To store your flower pots, clean and dry them thoroughly before stacking them horizontally. Never store flower pots vertically; they’ll swell and stick, making them difficult to pry apart when you need them.

4. Fall weather means delicious fall cooking, and you’ll probably be using the same few spices over and over again in a variety of recipes. Stock up on fall staples like pumpkin spice (Julia's note: check out my pumpkin pie spice recipe here), nutmeg, cinnamon and chai spice and keep them handy—hanging mop racks on the back of a closet door is a great space-saving way to store spices. It’s also a good idea to move fall foods like chili beans and canned pumpkin to the front of your cabinets for easy access.

5. Now is the perfect time to go through your closet and donate any clothes you didn’t wear in the past season. To store the summer clothes you intend to keep, roll linen garments and fold the rest. Place clothes in plastic home storage containers and store the containers in a cool, dark place such as under the bed or on the top shelf of your closet. 

Organizing your home for fall is one of the best ways to start off the season on the right foot. Not only will everything look a little neater, but you’ll save yourself space and stress, too. If you have other ideas for getting organized this fall, share them below!

Author Bio: This is a guest post by Katie F. on behalf of Hefty®. Visit Hefty online for trash bags and other 
products to help you stay organized.

---

P.S. Remember the time I tried to DIY a cute kitchen trash can; remember how I ended up getting a (matching to my kitchen) Hefty trash can instead? 

Thanks Katie for the great tips! Happy organizing everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs