Handmade Heating Pad {Gift Set Idea}

Friday, November 29, 2013

Happy day-after-Thanksgiving! Who's suffering from a food coma?! But isn't that the best part? What was your favorite food? Anything new on the menu? I'm over at Persia Lou sharing a tutorial for making a cute washable cover for the handmade heating pad that I'm sharing here today!

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

I first discovered handmade heating pads from a co-worker. I was having a rough day at work and asked her if she had a heating pad (one-in-a-million shot) and she did! But it was made of fleece and beans and had to be warmed up in the microwave! I was shocked... and hooked!

To make a handmade heating pad you only need a few items.

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Supplies:
100% Cotton fabric
Thread
Sewing machine
Filler
Measuring cup

Before you get started making the heating pad choose what you will use for your filler. You can use any of the following grains... whatever you have on hand or whatever is on sale when you want to make it. Plan on about 2.5 cups per heating pad.
Best Filler Options for a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Once you have your filler, set aside and get to working on your heating pad.

Step One: Iron your fabric and cut a square so that when you fold it over you have a rectangle. Folded over, mine measured about 4"x10". But you can make your heating pad any shape and size you want. Fold your fabric in half with right sides together. Pin edges if you need to.

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Steps Two & Three: Using your sewing machine, sew around one short side, the long side, and about 2/3 of the other short side shut. Then trim the corners off.

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Step Four: Pull your fabric right side out through the opening you left in the short side. Push out the corners with your finger. Lay flat.

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Step Five: Measure out 2.5 cups of your filler and pour it into your heating pad form (I used a paper funnel... you will need a funnel). I used long grain brown rice as my filler.

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Step Six: Fold under the open fabric and take back to your sewing machine and sew shut.

Optional Step Seven: Separate the filler into two parts, sew down the center to create to pockets. Sew each pocket in half (splitting the filler in two parts again). Then you have a heating pad where the filler is evenly distributed. 

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

To warm the heating pad, place in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. The heating pad cannot be washed and eventually the filler will burn and start to smell bad. At that time you can make another or use a clean 100% cotton sock and knot it at the end. 

If you go the sock route, then you will want to make the cute washable cover that I am sharing today at Persia Lou!

How to Make a Handmade Heating Pad | It's Always Ruetten

Here we go with the official countdown to Christmas! Hope you add this project to your to make list! 


18 comments:

  1. Super crafty and practical! Pinned! Swing by:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these and we make them too. Aren't they the best? I like your idea of sewing them into sections tho - we'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable, and your photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used one of these, they are amazing. Might have to try making one, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are SOOO great, what a perfect gift ;o) Thanks for linking up to the Create Link Inspire party. I hope you had a chance to enter the giveaway while you were over!! Stop on over and check out all the other features... happy weekend!! Emily @nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these type of heating bags. I sue them every winter. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! My husband loves these heating pads! Pinning, and thanks for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were featured on All Things Christmas! We hope that you will come back and link up again! Check it out at http://craftdictator.com/2013/12/09/all-things-christmas-4/!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing how to make this. It's on my list! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute and easy, my kids love these. Thanks for the tutorial!! sarah@thehoneycantlist

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE these warmers and they look easy enough for even ME, the most sewing-inept person on the face of the earth! LOL Thanks for linking up with Fluster's Creative Muster party.

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch Homestead~
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice idea!!! Also, wanted to let you know I have a link party on Wednesday, hope to see you there! Can't wait to party with you at https://homeschoolapalooza.wordpress.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all so adorable. My sister's kids get ear aches often and I know something like this would give them some relief. I should look into getting them a few heating pads.

    http://sunshine-pillows.com/heating_pads.php

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate being cold and I love heating packs! I think these make the perfect gift! Thanks for sharing with us at The Makers link party, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristina loves these! She has one that goes with her about everywhere and is much patched and re-filled. I usually am home so use the electric but not that we are traveling more, I need one for on the go! Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was having a rough day at work and asked her if she had a heating pad (one-in-a-million shot) and she did! But it was made of fleece and ... heatingblanket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs