Pass the Pepper, Please

Monday, November 4, 2013

Hey guys! Here we are, back again after (another) fast weekend! I had a very productive Goodwill shopping trip (love those) on Saturday and even had time to makeover one of my finds! After putting together my favorite silver & gold table accents I was itching to DIY some accent pieces for my own table. With a little luck I found the perfect piece to makeover!

Add a little Glam to your dining table {DIY Gold Salt & Pepper Shakers} | It's Always Ruetten

These glam salt and pepper shakers started out as (brand-new, in the package) wooden shakers from Goodwill.


I started by running a light sandpaper over each shaker, then using gold metallic craft paint, painted on four coats (plus touch-ups), until I had a the look I liked. Here is what they looked like after one coat. Honestly, I had to tell myself not to freak out.


After a few deep breaths, I applied three more coats and once I got to the color I wanted, I let the shakers dry really well. Then I used the same method I used on my nails, and used the back of a straight pin to make dot letters. I made sure to practice before writing directly on the shakers.


Once I was confident I could get uniform dots, I wrote on the shakers.


After drying overnight, I applied a spray coat of polyurethane satin sealer. I have trouble using spray paint, but it would have been just as easy to use gold spray paint instead of craft paint to get the same look.

Add a little Glam to your dining table {DIY Gold Salt & Pepper Shakers} | It's Always Ruetten

What do you think? Perfect for a fall table? I love them - and totally lucked out finding them at Goodwill!

{DIY Glam Salt & Pepper Shakers} | It's Always Ruetten

{I party with these blogs.}

11 comments:

  1. Tres Chic! These are so cute...I thought the "S" and "P" were rhinestones at first. You did such a great job with this GW find. I 'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that goes live on Wednesday night at 8pm central. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I wouldn't have thought to add the S and P.... I LOVE that touch!!

    Suzie @ Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! It would be great if you would link up to my link party http://ihearthandson.blogspot.ca/2013/11/show-off-fridays-3.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie! I love these - a little glam at table is always nice! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning! Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you blinged them out. Total glamour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute…these would be a great housewarming or shower gift! Love gold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so fancy but not pricey. great job thanks for linking up to the all things pretty party

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww these are fun, and the gold is perfect for fall! Pinning, and thanks for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these!! I have been trying to add touches of gold through out my house and this is such a great way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovin' the gold! What a way to glam up your kitchen. Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs