Christmas Fact of the Day!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This time of year it's pretty hard to avoid hearing Christmas music. Even if you choose to not listen to the 24/7 Christmas radio station - regular stations still play a few holiday tunes. Have you heard the Eagles "Please Come Home for Christmas" on your classic rock station? Yeah, then you know what I'm talking about.

One of the songs that you can't miss is the classic "Winter Wonderland." Do these lyrics sound familiar?

In the meadow we can build a snowman...
And pretend that he is Parson Brown...
He'll say 'Are you married?'...
We'll say 'No man, but you can do the job when you're in town'...

I admit it, I sing along with a smile on. But one thing always gets me...

Have you ever wondered who Parson Brown is? The answer is here!

...and why are we building snowmen to look like him?

Turns out "Parson Brown" is a now-outdated name for a Protestant minister. According to Wikipedia, in the 1930s, some Protestant ministers traveled rural routes performing wedding ceremonies for the faithful who lacked a local minister of their own faith. 

Who knew! 

{I party with these blogs.}

10 comments:

  1. That's funny that you would let us know this little known fact. My daughter was asking me this the other day. She couldn't figure out who he was and why they would pretend to get married. It took some explaining and laughing to figure that out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool fact! I've always wondered that myself. Thanks for sharing!

    Popping over from The Weekly Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an adorable post! I had no idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...I always wondered that too! Thanks for the fact! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh... I always wondered that! So glad you researched and shared.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay i love that you answered this. i always assumed it was someone from the frosty movie that i missed. lol. thanks for linking up with the all things pretty party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wondered this! I can't believe you found out! BRAVO!

    And a Merry Christmas, too. I'm dropping by from Sunday Showcase, and I'm glad I did!

    xo,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are correct, and good on you for bringing up a wonderful classic song--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny--I've always wondered who Parson Brown was. Thanks for clearing that up and sharing this at Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love little known facts so this was a great post!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs