'The Bachelor' Chicken Noodle Soup

Monday, January 13, 2014

Hi guys! I hope you all had a nice weekend! Today I'm sharing my first recipe of 2014! I'm dubbing it 'The Bachelor' Chicken Noodle Soup - even though more accurately it's called Chunky Chicken Noodle and Kale Soup. Keep reading to find out why I've nicknamed it in honor of 'The Bachelor'!
Chicken Noodle Kale Soup Recipe

It all started last weekend when I went to the Sprouts to pick up some veggies. I saw kale for sale and couldn't get Doctor Oz out of my head telling me how healthy kale is and that I should add it into my food rotation. So I picked up a bunch (or bushel?)... and chicken and realized I had the makings for chicken noodle soup... with kale!

So after work on Monday,  put everything on the stovetop and let it boil away. And boil... and boil... because I got distracted by Juan Pablo's premiere episode of 'The Bachelor' (even though I swore to myself I wasn't going to watch it). So when I went to check on the soup, all of the broth had evaporated! So I added cheese and it's sort of like a casserole soup... but still very good!

Chicken Noodle Soup with Kale (aka 'The Bachelor' Noodle Soup) from It's Always Ruetten
Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
1/2 onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 1/2 chicken breasts (cut into thirds)
2-3 medium carrots (cut into 1 inch pieces)
4 kale leaves (center rib cut out and leaves ripped into pieces)
3 dried bay leaves
dash of salt
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
1 can low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water 
Fettucini noodles
Mozzarella cheese

Chicken & Kale Noodle Soup (Casserole?) from It's Always Ruetten
Directions:
1. In the bottom of a soup pot, pour in just enough vegetable oil to sauté the onion and garlic.
2. Put in the onion and garlic on low heat until the onion is almost transparent.
3. Add in all of the other ingredients down to the 2 cups of water in the ingredients list above.
4. Turn up the heat, cover, and let boil for 15 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked through).
5. Uncover, pull out chicken and shred.
6. Place shredded chicken back into the pot with the fettucini noodles that have been broken in half and continue to boil until the noodles are cooked through.
7. If you want it more casserole like, let the broth boil off. If you want it like a soup, turn the heat down once the noodles are cooked through. If you need to, add more water to the dish to increase the amount of broth.
8. Before serving, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
9. Enjoy!

Chunky Chicken Noodle & Kale Soup from It's Always Ruetten
At first I didn't like the kale, but the longer it sat (overnight) the better it tasted. Have you ever forgotten something on the stove? Woops!

{I party with these blogs.}

10 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,
    This post gave me a chuckle when you mentioned that all the broth had disappeared. Happened to me also, but I had put too many noodles in it, and they absorbed all liquid.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I think I'll be making this for lunch today :) Thanks for linking up at Pinspiration Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. Looks delicious

    beautiful-mermaids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this looks so delicious! What an awesome idea! I would love for you to sharing this great post at our WIW Linky Party. I hope you can join us.

    Paula
    Ivy & Elephants

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told myself I wasn't going to watch The Bachelor either and here I am, recording every episode! It's addicting I know. This chicken noodle soup looks amazing and I can't wait to try it! Following you on facebook and google+!

    Sandra
    www.notesfromtheslife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your post at The Weekend re-Treat Link Party on The Best Blog Recipes this week! Wanted to stop by and pin to our Party Boards while I was here tonight :)

    Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our grandparents knew that kale was a superfood and am glad so many people are now using it. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are hilarious! I looks delicious, I bet it's just as good with or without the broth! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us! I pinned to the party board!

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great I pinned it! Thanks so much for linking it up last week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! This looks great! Thanks for linking up to the Weekend Wind-Down party last week! I would love to choose this recipe as a feature in this weeks link-up! Wold you mind adding our button to your link party list? I didn't see it there and I'm not suppose to choose a feature that does not display our button, but I really wanna feature this! Here is a link to last week's party where you can find our button. Hope you don't mind doing that :) http://www.mendezmanor.com/2014/01/weekend-wind-down-link-party-no-3.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs