The Books of January...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I know I said it yesterday, but I can't believe it's already that time of January for my "books I've read" post. It's been a really fast month, but I prioritized taking time each night to read without the TV, computer, or cell distractions that keep me so preoccupied for most of the rest of the day.



In keeping true with my quirky New Years resolutions, this month I read both an e-book on my Kindle and a physical book off my bookshelf. Both of the books were very entertaining and I'd recommend each if you're intrigued by the synopsis.

First up is a book I had on my bookshelf for about a year, I think. No surprise to you, I'm sure, that the book is about a cat. But a small detail I had forgotten is that the story is from Spencer, Iowa; a small town in the northwestern party of the state. When I was active with College Republicans when I was in school in Iowa one of the other girls who was always at meetings and events was from Spencer too. Funny how those details stick with me.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
Vicki Myron

How much of an impact can an animal have? How many lives can one cat touch? How is it possible for an abandoned kitten to transform a small library, save a classic American town, and eventually become famous around the world? You can't even begin to answer those questions until you hear the charming story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of SpencerIowa.

Dewey's story starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, he was stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library. He was found the next morning by library director Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility (for a cat), and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most. 

As his fame grew from town to town, then state to state, and finally, amazingly, worldwide, Dewey became more than just a friend; he became a source of pride for an extraordinary Heartland farming town pulling its way slowly back from the greatest crisis in its long history. Source

I'm a big fan of the free e-book but I have to admit that it can sometimes be hit-or-miss getting a story that is actually work reading. When I first started this next book, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish it because it was about weddings and was leaning towards the sappy side. But after just two chapters I was hooked on the cute story!

Picture Perfect: A Novel
Janice Thompson

Feisty wedding photographer Hannah McDermott has dealt with her share of difficult brides. But none can compare to the ultimate Bridezilla she's dealing with now. Still, she's trying desperately to impress Bella Neeley, Galveston Island's most sought-after wedding planner, so she can take the top spot in Bella's list of recommended photographers--a spot currently occupied by her arch-rival, Drew Kincaid. What she doesn't count on, however, is falling head over heels for the competition.

With her contagious humor and cast of quirky characters, Janice Thompson gives readers more of the bridal business drama they want in a brand-new series all about those long-suffering people who make beautiful weddings happen. Readers are desperately waiting for more of Bella and this new series brings her back in a big way, while introducing new characters fans will love. Fans will laugh out loud as they experience this breezy and entertaining novel from a great storyteller. Source

Psstt.... if you haven't entered my first giveaway head on over here to check it out and sign up for your chance to win!

11 comments:

  1. Oh reading. One of my currently neglected passions. I really like the sound of Picture Perfect! I'm a sucker for romance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - sounds like a really interesting book. I have always loved to read and romance novels can be great book - this book Picture Perfect, sounds like one I might like. Visiting from Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I need to make more time for reading for pleasure...I'll have to check back here for book ideas :) Good job keeping up with your new year resolution too...I'm hoping I can follow through with my plans as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the book on the cat, it brings tears to my eyes, my cat just died and i am very heartbroken and blogging and reading seems to help! Love your blog, thanks for the selection of reads! Now I have to look for my 50th pair of reading glasses that I lost, I'm sure there is one around in my sock draw..... lol

    thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about Dewey and want to read the book - good review. I just finished Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters - surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both books sounds interesting...I could really go for a mindless romance right about now! I might start there....I really need to get back to reading something besides blogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a complete book worm! I spent all weekend reading Joseph Conrads Heart of Darkness! Hoping to see you stop by my Sunday Book Hop!

    http://julshiddengems.blogspot.ie/2014/02/document.html

    Juls x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to put these on my (ever growing) reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that second books sounds great. i have never read any from tat author. after i finish my current reads i will chek that one out. thanks for linking up to the all things pretty party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being the number one animal lover in the world...I know what a difference they can make in your life...this book sounds heart warming...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm lucky to get one book read in the time span of 3 months! Looks like you made some good choices. Enjoy the books, Julia!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs