Let the Good Times Roll...

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Hi ya all! It's been a while, I admit. But not for naught. I was a sicky sick one last week. I thought I had food poisoning, but it actually was the stomach flu. No fun, let me tell you. Sorry for the silence, but I'm sure you can understand. Three days of sick leave from work means three days of sick leave from the blog. But I'm back today with a fun (Silhouette-free) card tutorial!
Let the Good Times Roll Spring Card! #green #pink #MOJO333

Even though I love, love, LOVE my Silhouette, sometimes it's easier to make a card by hand, rather than using the machine. When I pulled out my papers to see what I could make for the Mojo Monday (333) Challenge, it turned out that my ideas was easier made with scissors and patience than my computer!

Here's the design layout I was hoping to achieve:

The color-scheme came together quickly once I found the floral paper that I wanted to use. But, my favorite thing about this card is that it is upcycled from an old Valentine's Day card!
How to UPCYCLE a card for Spring! (No cutting machine needed!)

Supplies:
Card with a simple design on the front
Scrapbook paper of choice
Glue or adhesive
Scissors

My biggest piece of advice is to use scrapbook paper with a a geometric-ish print because it makes it much easier to cut straight lines. The back piece and white and pink lined piece are from the same scrapbook paper (that was so cut up from projects last year, I can't even tell you the name or where I got it :-( ). The green piece (the main back piece) has a grid on the back, so those are the lines I followed when cutting it out. 

My other piece of advice is to use large graphic printed scrapbook paper. I hand-cut the flower from a scrapbook paper with large over-sized flowers and the Good Times embellishment is from a sheet of scrapbook paper will a bunch of different tags and sayings and shapes (well worth the money since it is a thicker paper).

Once everything is cut out, play around with the layout... and walk away before applying any glue or adhesive. Once it's glued... there's no moving it. So make sure you are completely happy with the design before it gets cemented for all of eternity good. 

How do you think I interpreted the design challenge? I'm loving making cards!
Let the Good Times Roll Spring Card! #green #pink #MOJO333

{I party with these blogs.}

7 comments:

  1. Julia, I have a question about your Silhouette machine. From what I understand through your descriptions about your card making-that you are able to design...whatever...on your computer, then send the design, which I'm guessing has to be in outlines or sending singular designs, to the silhouette which cuts out what you've designed. Is that correct? And compared to the cricut machine, you can only use the cartridges with pre-designed images. As you can tell-I do not have either machine, and am considering the pros and cons. Tell me your thoughts & advise for why you purchased the silhouette over the cricut. Connie@ bradshawshouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connie! I definitely recommend the Silhouette over Cricut. With the Silhouette you can use almost any image you find online to cut out (or print and cut) on the machine. Individual images are no more than 99 cents in the Silhouette Store. One of the main complaints I have read with the Cricut is in order to purchase an image to cut with the machine, you have to buy (fairly expensive) cartridges with a variety of images, just to get the one you may want. I would encourage you to read some reviews on other bloggers sites. The size and price were the main reasons I bought my Silhouette Portrait and I am so happy I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it's upcycled. The image placement on the card is really artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card!
    Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!
    You are one of our featured guests this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats you are featured on Inspire Me Monday :D This is a beautiful card! I love how you used the sketch and that big flower cutout :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cute! I need to try that. I keep telling myself I can make cards, then when the time comes I just buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really cute idea for a card. I like how you lay out your plan for this card step by step. I just started doing my own cards within the last year, so I love new ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs