The "He's How Old?" Card {Free Cut File}

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Guys, I made a mistake on this card. You probably can't tell. But the 2... it should be a 3. 

Do you remember the Happy Turtle Birthday Card I made a few weeks ago? Well the birthday of my best high school girlfriend's little boy who I made that card for is coming up, as is his older brother's. I hadn't made the oldest brother a card yet, so I looked through my stash and found some fun birthday-themed papers to work with and made the bright birthday card below for his (what I thought) second birthday.
Bright and Sunny Birthday Card with FREE CUT FILE! #MOJO341

But after I finished the card and went to bed, I started running the numbers in my head and realized that "big brother" is turning 3 not 2! I'm not sure how I made that mistake considering "little brother" is turning 1! Oh, well. I'm still loving this card and will just have to save it for a year to send it to lil' bro!

I was working with the Mojo Monday layout design challenge for this card. It was definitely a test of my creativity to get all of the elements of the design into this card, and I'm so happy with how it turned out knowing the work it took to get it all working together!

I wanted to keep the colors really saturated, primary, and bright. I used a paper called Surprise! Pop that had some cute birthday-themed quotes and pictures. I pulled the balloons to use for the square feature image.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to use for the circle. I thought maybe putting a J for his initial, but it seemed like it might compete with the balloons. I decided on the layered number instead and went about making (rather than using someone else's) my own file.

I created circles here for you to download and use in Silhouette Studio (just click on the image). If it doesn't seem like it's working correctly for you in Silhouette Studio, make sure you have CF Jack Story font downloaded on your computer.
Free Silhouette Studio Circle-in-Number Download from It's Always Ruetten

Here's one last look at the layers of the card! Good tip: It's a good idea to always keep your scrap papers. I made the pennants from scrap pieces from other projects! 
Bright and Sunny Birthday Card with FREE Silhouette Studio CUT FILE! #MOJO341

Have you ever made an irreversible mistake on a project? Oh well, it just means that I'll have to make another card for him!

{I party with these blogs!}

5 comments:

  1. Vey very cute card. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I have always wanted to make cards, I just never can find the time! I know who to come to for ideas! ;) Thanks so much for sharing this. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so sweet! I think it's the best birthday card I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card! Congrats - you've been featured at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sweet card, and am not surprised it was featured at Inspire Me Monday. I've made my share of mistakes too, and use them as opportunities for innovation. I thinks it's part of the creative process and makes it a fun challenge to me. Blessings! #265

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs