Right up there with my love for hot dogs is my obsession with pizza. Any kind of pizza in any form - double-stuffed, calzone, stuffed crust, cheese. You name it, I'll eat it. I just love pizza. But... my hips don't; and as Shakira says... hips don't lie. So this weekend, while I was thinking that the only thing I needed to make pizza was cheese, I looked out at the pool and decided instead to make pizza salad! This is a must-add to any Summer meal plan!
Bag o' salad (I used the Italian blend from Wal Mart)
Green bell pepper
Sliced olives (small can is perfect)
Shredded mozzarella cheese (not finely shredded)
Sliced pepperoni (look for mini pepperoni from Hormel - I found mine on sale at Smith's)
Italian salad dressing
Directions: (for one-serving salad)
1. Cut and seed half of the Roma tomato;
2. Finely chop 1/4 of the green bell pepper (discarding seeds);
3. Open and drain the sliced olives;
4. Place about 1/3 of the bag of salad into a bowl, top with the tomato, pepper, and spoonful of olives;
5. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and a few spoonfuls of pepperoni (to your liking);
6. Toss and top with Italian dressing;
You can add or omit any ingredients you want, although I encourage you to include the green pepper - it really makes the salad taste like pizza. You can add onions, sausage, Canadian bacon and canned pineapples, green chiles... really anything you like!
What will you add to your pizza salad?
For another pizza-inspired dish, check out my Slow Cooker Pizza Soup recipe below:
Make it a great week, everyone!