Spring Cleaning {New Design}

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Saturday, all! If you're a regular reading of It's Always Ruetten, then you may notice some very new things around here! Just last night I set live the new design for my blog! I LOVE it!

Last year I updated my blog design myself and for the most part really liked it. But I felt I outgrew the pink, red, and gray. So I started looking for a blog design that a) I liked, and b) wasn't too expensive. There are some really great options on Etsy. But I ended up finding mine via Pinterest at Designer Blogs... for only $15! It's called Wednesday and is designed by Emily.

Since my new design looks so much different from my old one (and I made some significant changes to my content) I thought I would take you all on a quick tour of my new layout.



Follow the five arrows from top to bottom....

1. The thing I absolutely love about the Wednesday design is the black and white and gold glitter. The pennant design is just icing on the cake! It's what sold me on the design.

2. If you look at the sample on the Designer Blogs website, you will see that the header (the name of the blog) written in black text. I wanted something with a little more pop to it (and I don't have a tagline so it looked pretty naked with just the name) so I designed my own... with glitter!


3. I took the gold glitter from the blog design and the header and carried it out throughout my blog (tastefully, not tacky) and my social media items. I started with my "about me" picture by making it black and white (a bit classier) and adding a glitter border to the headshot (thanks again, Morgan for taking them last year!). I shortened my blurb as well.


4. I added simple black round social media icons (which I found for free here) that serve their purpose but don't stand out like I think they did before. 

5. One of the bigger changes I made was to swap out an archives page for a projects gallery page. Rather than documenting every post (because not every post is one that is really worth sharing a second time), I'm highlighting certain projects and posts. Be sure to check out my new projects gallery - here's a sneak peek:


In addition to the changes here on my blog, I updated my Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to match the black, white, and gold glitter. To say I'm loving the new design, truly is an understatement!

My new blog button:


My new Facebook page header:



My new blog favicon
(the little image on the webpage tab)


If you're a blogger (or considering starting a blog) you have to check out Designer Blogs. Here are a few other designs that I think are great:

Dakota

Jackie

Michelle

Mallory

Burke

As your looking around, if you find anything that isn't working or doesn't look like it's been updated, please let me know so I can fix it! Thank you, thank you!

{I party with these blogs.} 

14 comments:

  1. Loving your new look! So classy and yet totally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I like the project gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new design! I'm thinking about changing things up on my blog too. It's really helpful that you shared how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So classy! Locing the hint of gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links ... I am going over to check them out now. I love your design!

    Stacy
    www.anygirlcandoit.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely new design! Very chic!

    Tenns @ New Mama Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so awesome!! Thanks for sharing about a great design and at a great price! I also LOVE the projects page. It looks awesome, and I totally am motivated to do that on my own! Thanks for sharing great tips :) Glad to have clicked over from Pig & Dac's linkup :) ~Jenna // A Mama Collective

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look, Julia! That banner is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new look is great! Very sophisticated and unique! Congrats and thanks for the info about the blog designers.
    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity at our Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Join us again on Saturday to show off your latest projects!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie:
    Love the new look! Looks sophisticated and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great. You can't go wrong with a classic like black, white and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it! We are thinking of changing up our blog too so off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the new design! Thanks for sharing it with us at the #WWDParty - have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs