DIY Oversized Pop Art

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A day late (but am I a dollar short?), but here is the super fun oversized pop art I made to hang over my new pink dresser! But I have good reason for being a day late! On Monday I fulfilled my 12-year-old-self dream and saw the Backstreet Boys in concert! I sang at the top of my lungs, hollered, and danced the night away! It was so much fun!

But as promised on Monday, I want to share with you my (cheap) DIY Oversized Pop Art!


A few months ago, I picked up these two white canvases from Hobby Lobby for under $5. I didn't quite know what I was going to use them for, so I held on to them until inspiration hit. When I spray painted the dresser drawer pulls gold, I knew I wanted to highlight the gold in the canvas art; and eyeglasses were my choice!

I have used eyeglasses before in a few crafts and just love the look! So I thought it would be fun to see them oversized in my DIY pop art.


I originally thought I was going to use gold leaf to make the eyeglasses, but when was at Michael's to pick up the supplies, I saw they carried Silhouette Brand printable gold foil! So using my 40%-off coupon, I picked up a package (for just under $6).

Since the size of the glasses are so oversized, it was important that I have a high-quality cut file so that the lines were as smooth as possible. After looking through the Silhouette Studio Store I decided to buy a file that has eyeglasses and other files for Valentine's Day. The eyeglasses were the best shape (plus they were on sale for 75 cents) so I put it in my cart and clicked buy!



Once the cut file was in my Silhouette Studio, I ungrouped everything and got rid of the designs that weren't the glasses. I then resized the glasses shape to be 22 inches wide (half of the glasses per vinyl sheet), then cut them out!

It actually took my like six cuts to get it exactly right. On two, I cut the bottom of the frame off the sheet and on one sheet came loose during cutting. Be sure to flip the image when you cut the second one so that it creates the full image when you put them on the canvas.

Once your images are cut (you could do this by hand too if you have sharp scissors or an Exacto knife; just trace your image on the back of the sheet and cut it out), lay the canvas side-by-side and carefully lay the vinyl on top of each canvas making sure to line up them images together.


The best part is that the canvases are so light that you can hang them the same way I hung my plate wall! No wall damage!

One thing I am worried about is that I have noticed the edges curling a bit. I'm not sure if it's the extreme heat here paired with the air-conditioning...? I may need to seal it with Mod Podge or something, so I will keep you updated once I figure out what to do.

What do you think? Pretty fun, huh?!

Check Out the Other Projects Mentioned in this Post:



Thanks for stopping by!

{I party with these blogs!}

24 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! Simple, elegant, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Julia! Perfect for new bright summer decor. Would love you to join us and post at Awesome Things Tuesday here http://www.sowderingabout.com/2014/06/awesome-things-tuesday_10.html. Best, jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - so fun! Love this, Julia. I'm going to have to try that gold foil! Thanks so much for linking up with us at The Makers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool, Julia! I love diptics. Hope to see you back next week at The DIY'ers link party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Lovely idea! Thanks for sharing it!
    Hope you have a wonderful day and week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! Found you through Wow Me Wednesdays...

    Stacy
    www.anygirlcandoit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Love the gold! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's so cool! It's simple and quite funky as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pop art! The glasses are just perfect...love that they are gold too! I'd be thrilled for you to link this up to my Creative Ways Link Party that's underway right now. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, so fun and quirky!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! Yet another reason why I wish I had a Silhouette! Nice work.
    Found your blog from the Weekend Bloggy Reading party.

    P.S. I used to be a huge Backstreet Boys fan myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I am decorating my home office right now and looking for fun wall art. I would love looking at this in my creative space everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fun! Quirky! Love it. Thanks for linking up to the DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia! I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE your Oversized Pop Art, and I'm featuring you as one of my Rockstars this week from Creativity Unleashed!

    As a Rockstar you're in the running for this week's MEGA Rockstar! Grab your friends and come vote at http://www.theboldabode.com/2014/06/creativity-unleashed-rockstars-week-24.html

    The MEGA Rockstar gets loads of love including:

    1. Shout outs on all my social media houses.
    2. A bucket full of Pins to my biggest group boards
    3. A big sidebar ad proclaiming them the MEGA Rockstar of the week
    4. And a feature in my weekly newsletter!

    Congratulations and Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julia
    This is going to be a Friday Favorite feature going live tomorrow! Please join the party this week! I love it! laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant! Wanted to let you know I'm featuring this when my link party opens up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! Love the simplicity yet statement it has. Would love it if you shared it at our Motivational Monday link party on Burlap and Babies!

    {http://www.burlapandbabies.com/2014/06/motivational-monday-jun16.html}

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking to Create Link Inspire at The Crafty Blog Stalker. You will be featured when the post goes live later tonight, and you have been pinned! Thank you for sharing.
    –Katie, TheCraftyBlogStalker.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. YES! Totally fun! I love it! There are so many cool options with this - I was thinking it would look cool to do this with two halves of a set of antlers.. I soooo need a silhouette - I keep hinting to my hubby, and my birthday is next week, so fingers crossed! :-) Will you please come and share at Merry Monday Linky? We'd love to have you (sunday 6pm pst). Julia (Happy House and Home)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a cool project! How fun! Thank you for sharing at Redouxinteriors and the new Handmade Hangout! Sharing tomorrow afternoon when the party opens.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute idea! Thanks for linking it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing again at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs