Pink & Gold

Monday, June 2, 2014

About a year ago, I bought a mahogany dresser that I planned to paint and turn into my TV stand. I worked on painting it, but lost interest in it pretty soon after bringing it into my apartment (I wrote about buying it and my plans for it here and here). I decided to just live with it, but coveted all of the Mid-Century dressers-turned TV stands out there and knew that as soon as I found a dresser with better (simpler) lines I would swoop it up and paint it.

I was regularly browsing Craigslist, but wasn't having much luck... until I found a beat up dresser for sale for only $5! But look what a little paint did for it.. and for my living room!


Here was my last TV stand dresser (from Christmas...):


It was pretty. but too formal for my style. So when I saw this listing on Craigslist, I knew the straighter lines were perfect for my apartment and my style!


So I looked beyond the stickers, scratches, and wonky bottom drawer and emailed the seller. Within minutes I had a time setup to pick up the dresser and later that same day this future beauty was coming home with me. There were a ton of scratches, letter, and named carved into the dresser, so my first stop was Lowe's to pick up some wood filler, quality brushes, and paint extender. My plan was for this dresser to come out perfectly!

It took me three coats of primer (I used Zinnser Bullseye Waterbased primer) on the drawers, followed by three coats of paint. For the body of the dresser, I used two coats of primer, two coats of white paint, and three coats of paint. With each paint (primer, white, pink) I used, I added Floetrol to extend the use of the paint and remove the chance of brush strokes.


I am so happy with the finished dresser. So smooth and... PINK!

I used the same Exhaltation pink that I used on my bankers chair last year!


At first I was going to find to drawer pulls, but after I got the dresser home, I fell for the drawer pulls... they are a little deco I think. I spray patined them gold and they they go great with the pink!


There is also a surprise on the sides and insides of each drawer!



Even Ricky thinks this dresser is great!


I truly love the lines, color, and size of this dresser. It is the perfect piece of furniture for my TV stand and it goes perfectly in my living room. The pink is the perfect shade, just enough of a touch of pink but close enough to white that it still looks very functional. Because the paint is so light, I used Polycrylic to seal it because it has a great reputation for not yellowing after time passes.


Here's the before and after:

 

Inspired by my new pink and gold dresser I created some pop art to hang above it. Check back tomorrow to see what I made and find out how you can make it too!

Pretty great piece for $5, right?! Amazing what a little Goo Gone (buh-bye stickers), wood filler, primer, paint, and top coat can do!

Love this piece? Check out the matching bankers chair -


{I party with these blogs.}

8 comments:

  1. Hey I really love this redo. I'm not a pink person, but it's a subtle color & looks really great in your home.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be so cute for a girls room. My husband and I are thinking about doing a dresser redo soon, so I will keep your tips in mind. Thanks for sharing, I found you on Thrifty Thursday link party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! We just revamped my mother in law's old dresser. Check it out! http://goo.gl/ZprI9p I love repurposing and re-doing great furniture pieces. I like that you painted the sides of the drawers. I may have to go back and do that to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this turned out, and the paint is really pretty. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this color combo and your use of the word "wonky"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I wish I had a little DIY in me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color and you scored with the hardware! Great job on the unexpected details too :)
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great DIY! Thank you for sharing at the #WWDParty, Happy Summer Solstice 2014!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs