Pink-on-Pink & Black-on-Black

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

This card was bittersweet to make. I purchased many of the supplies for this card from my favorite local paper-crafting store, The Hen House (that has a consignment section that I think is genius!). It was announced last week that they are closing (insert: sad face). There is another scrapbooking store in Albuquerque that is actually closer to me, that I can visit, but I'm bummed that The Hen House is closing. I hope someone steps in and purchases the business, but after visiting this weekend and picking up some items at their 20% off store wide closing sale, it's not looking like that's going to happen.

Anywho, to make this card for two challenges, I combined a patterned paper, a stamp set I splurged on and purchased without price-checking online, and black sequins, all of which I got at The Hen House. 

For being my first black card I love it!

Pink-on-Pink & Black-on-Black Birthday Card #PP202


I started with inspiration from The Paper Players this week for my colors and sentiment. They have a fun challenge this week: tic-tac-toe the criteria for your card. I chose the three I drew an arrow through below (any shade of pink, birthday, and patterned paper).

Pink-on-Pink & Black-on-Black Birthday Card #PP202

Since my card was pink, I knew it was going to be intended for a female recipient so I went girly on it and added the same bow I used on my Hello Spring card (cut file here). The bow is perfect addition because it's also what the House of Cards July Challenge calls for!

Pink-on-Pink & Black-on-Black Birthday Card {House of Cards July Challenge: Add a Bow}

I love the bow! Basically, I love all of the elements of the card (and having them all together is growing on me too). I strategically placed the sequins to cover up smudges from the silver ink. I'm still pretty new to the stamping and have so much to learn about making clean transfers.

What do you think of the color combo? Too much?

{I party with these blogs!}

17 comments:

  1. Think it's super cute AND so sad to hear about that paper store. I've never even heard of it! I'm crazy for paper stores and always shed a little tear when they close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that your favorite little shop is closing....it's happening everywhere! But your card is so pretty...I love the black & bright color combo! Thanks for playing with the Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the beautiful floral paper on the contrasting black ....and this big pink bow is just gorgeous!
    Thanks for playing along with us at House of Cards Julia.
    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card--I could see the designer paper and color combo you've chosen making a fab outfit!
    Thanks for joining in at House of Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, Julia! Love the sophisticated bow and the pop of sparkle. Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Paper Players! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Julia, I love the colors and that fabulous bow! Thanks so much for joining us at HOC!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic card! Love your bow and embossing! :) Thank you so much for joining us at House of Cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun twist - paper bows are so lovely and yours looks so great on your card!! Way to go!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I really love your paper Bows its sooo lovely and great combo black and pink dear Julia...your card is wonderful I love it..

    Thanks for joining us at House of Cards Challenge this time..
    hugs,
    Monika (DT MEMBER)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is DARLING!!! LOVE that pink paper bow and I agree with you--your first black card turned out awesomely! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great use of the challenges. Love the non traditional pink paper bow. Thanks for sharing with us at HOC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card and I love the colours you used - my fave combo! Thanks for joining in the House of Cards challenge this month.

    Hugs, Vannessa
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color combination! Also, I'm new to your blog and I LOVE your header design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pink and Black always goes together, lovely paper bow. Thank you for participating in the 'Add a Bow' challenge at House of Cards.

    Ma :)
    House of Cards DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty card! I love colors and bow. Thank you for playing along with us at House Of Cards

    cohenna
    House of Cards DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the card and the colors. Sorry the store is closing!! Pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs