{Mostly} Slow Cooker Kielbasa & Veggie Medley

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

This weekend brought the cooler temperatures to New Mexico. We saw our first freeze of the season and I pulled out another blanket to put on the bed (that Ricky and Odo could barely let me get on the bed before both laying down on it).

I pulled out my (well really Morgan's) Crock Pot and made one of my very favorite cool weather dishes - Kielbasa and Veggie Medley! This dish is almost fool-proof and is so filling, you have to try it!


I've been making this dish for a few years, originally finding a recipe here, that I have since adapted to the recipe I'm sharing today. The best thing about this dish? You can basically change it up to include all ingredients you like; it's very versatile!

Ingredients:
1 Polska Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage
1 can low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
4 cups (approximately 6 potatoes) chopped red potatoes
2-3 cups fresh (or canned or frozen) green beans
1 cup (if using only 2 cups green beans) chopped carrots

optional:
onion, garlic, cabbage, squash

Directions:
. Peel 3 potatoes and chop into approximately 1-inch pieces, chop the remaining potatoes into 1-inch pieces, rinse and add to crock.
. Cut both ends off of green beans and chop into 1-inch pieces, rinse and add to crock.
. Cut carrots into 1-inch pieces and add to crock.
. Repeat with any optional ingredients.
. Add chicken broth (approximately 2 cups).
. Add water (approximately 2 cups), enough to cover the vegetables.
. Cook vegetables on high for 3.5 hours (until the vegetables are tender and cooked through).
~ Here's where the "mostly" part comes in:
. After 3.5 hours, cut the kielbasa into 1/2 inch discs, then cut them into half circles.
. Saute in skillet for about 15 minutes or until they get browned.
. Once browned, add the kielbasa and drippings to the crock (you want the flavor of the fat).
. Stir and turn the Crock Pot to low.
. Allow to continue cooking until all the ingredients have been well incorporated (30-45 minutes).
. Using a slotted spoon, spoon out the medley and serve with a crusty bread.
. Enjoy!


The saltiness of the kielbasa with the tender vegetables is so tasty. I hope you give this recipe a try! I'd love for you to share your variations with me!

Have a great Tuesday!

{I party with these blogs!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs