How to Organize Fonts

Tuesday, February 10, 2015


If you've been reading my blog for a while, then you know I'm a fontophile. I even have a Pinterest board dedicated entirely to fonts. But since I have over one-thousand (!) fonts downloaded on my computer, I know that fonts can easily get hidden away, feeling too overwhelmed to look through them all to figure out which one to use.

But after I shared my list of great fonts to use with Silhouette Sketch pens, once question I received more than a handful of times was about how I organize my fonts to make them them work for me the best. Well today I'm here with two options for you. Both have their pros and cons, but I think they are good options to look in to. I do not work with, nor have I been contacted by either of the companies. I am sharing both of these simply as a way to help my fellow font lovers out there!

my Fontbook

I have been using my Fontbook for about a year now and really like how it works. my Fontbook allows you to see all of the fonts that are downloaded on your computer in the ease of your web browser - there isn't a program to install to your hard drive. One of my favorite features is the ability "tag" fonts into categories. For instance, I would tag the fonts that I shared for wedding invitations as "wedding" so I can easily pull these up all together in the future. 


Fonts are previewed with sample text (below is It's Always Ruetten) row upon row which makes comparison an option.


Pros: 
1. Doesn't require the download of a program;
2. Provides for rating and tagging of fonts;
3. Easy to use;
4. Can use on any computer and it will pull the fonts from the computer you set up with;

Cons:
1. Requires log in;
2. Slow start up as it pulls in the info on all the fonts;
3. Doesn't have the ability to compare specific fonts to one another

wordmark

Wordmark is another web-browser-based font preview program. I just recently discovered this so I am not as well versed in wordmark as I am in my Fontbook. Wordmark operates in a similar manner to my Fontbook, but really offers different uses. To use wordmark, you will type in a sample word (again It's Always Ruetten) and press 'load fonts'. Here you will see the word(s) in each of your fonts. Once you reach the end of the fonts, select 'load more fonts'.

Here you can compare fonts in rows and columns. By highlighting certain fonts and selecting "filter selected" you can compare fonts of your choice to one another. It's a really useful feature.



Pros: 
1. Quick loading
2. Pleasing layout
3. Ability to compare certain fonts

Cons: 
1. Doesn't preview all fonts at once
2. Doesn't allow for categorization
3. Won't work on any computer, must be on the computer with the fonts you want to use

Overall, I think both of these are great choices to help get a hold of a big font collection. I think they will be really great together. 

How do you organize any fonts you have that you have added to your collection? Any great products out there that we should know about?

9 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty handy. Is there a way to mark which ones are for personal/commercial use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a graphic designer, these resources are very helpful. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use {and LOVE} Nexus Font. You do have to install it on your computer but it is SO easy to use. And it's FREE!! It automatically puts all of your installed fonts into alphabetical order. You can create sets, for example you mentioned with My Fontbook that you put your wedding fonts together, you can do the same with Nexus Font, you can create as many sets as you want {I have "several" lol} that can have as many fonts in them as you want and fonts can go into as many different sets as you want. You can also "tag" fonts. One of your comentors asked about showing personal/commercial use - this is what I chose to do with my tags. I have several tags also, including "Commercial Use" "personal use" "pay font" "installed", etc. And you can see sample tests of each font. I like to type the phrase I plan to use into the text box so I can see EXACTLY what it will look like in a particular font. I would be lost without it!! If you get a chance, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there was such a thing. I'm sharing and pinning. Thanks so much. Best wishes, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good info! I have lots of free fonts saved on a Pinterest Board, but I haven't done anything with any of them yet. I'm following your board now too. =0)

    Stopping by from You're Gonna Love It Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info! Pinned for when I start getting into this stuff.
    Poppin' in from the Show and Tell party!
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome - thanks! I'm def saving this one for later. I used to download a LOT of fonts for use with the silhouette and then would forget what I had and go back to downloading when I needed another. I wasted a lot of time looking at fonts online. :)
    Amy
    www.germanpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those looks handy if you use a lot of fonts. Thanks for the ideas.
    http://LinorStore.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome thank you! I am fontaholic too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs