Major Second-Hand Success

Monday, March 9, 2015

I had some major second-hand success this weekend. Major. It all started when I went thrifting with a mission to find something green to wear on St. Patrick's Day and maybe (cross my fingers) a new desk chair. I hit up everywhere: Goodwills', Savers, Thrift Town, St. Vincent de Paul, Home Goods, and every Ross (looking for that perfect desk chair)

Luck struck right off the bat for me at Goodwill; and of course it was for something that wasn't even on my list. I found a great lightweight quilted vest in white. It was the perfect size and color, so I snatched it up right away. But no luck in the chair department.


I moved on keeping my hopes up for the chair, but was completely underwhelmed with the furniture selection at Savers. I had not intention of looking at anything but furniture there (they are a little pricey for my taste), but to get to the furniture, I had to pass the women's clothing department. More specifically sweaters. My weakness. And hanging there, just waiting for me, was the perfect 3/4 length sleeved sweater. In emerald green and black. In my size. From Talbots. I darn near did a dance in the aisle. I can't wait to wear it.


But still no chair luck.

I forged on and stopped by a few other places with no luck. Then I drove out of the little area I was in to another Goodwill that is also by a Ross and crossed my fingers. I went to Goodwill first and headed straight for the furniture. No chair there either. But buried in a corner was a white desk with the best drawer pulls that had a Target/Wal Mart look to it. I didn't think much of it since the Goodwill's around here recently have really been over-pricing furniture. But my jaw dropped when I got close enough to read the price tag sticker- just $9.99!! 

This desk is currently on sale at Target.com
and there is a code on their website that puts it below $100 if anyone is interested in buying it!

It was in good condition, but there was a problem with the pencil drawer. After examining it a bit, I noticed that it just had to do with the drawer track- something I thought could easily be fixed. I paid, loaded it up, and drove away in less than 10 minutes. I was ecstatic! 

So my plans changed a bit and I wasn't as much on the hunt for a new chair (although it was still in the long-term plan at this point). I was thinking a ghost chair would look nice (particularly this one from Ikea... the price is just too great). But there just isn't a lot of that type of modern furniture in my area.

So after a long day of shopping (seriously, I hit up over a dozen stores), I treated myself to a great Mexican dinner and called the weekend shopping a success.

But then Sunday came in to the picture.

I did my usual routine (an hour later, of course) of looking through Craigslist over breakfast, when I decided to look at what was posted on the free link (I usually don't have the best luck there, so I don't look there regularly). Same old stuff: broken stuff, tires, rocks... and this:

The chairs were listed as needing major TLC (including a mold problem) and offered to first come first served. They were way across town, literally on the edge of town in the last sub-division development before it's just mesa. I was elated when I rounded the corner and saw them sitting there. I bravely grabbed one and loaded it into my car. The photo in the listing doesn't do them justice. They are in terrible condition. Gross, nasty mold.

I worked on the chair this weekend and am now at a point where I am trying to figure out what to do with the seat. I would love to get a new seat cut for it, but I don't have to the tools or the knowledge of who could do that here in town for me. I asked a friend to ask her husband if he might be willing to help me out. If not, I'll give the seat a thorough cleaning with bleach and vinegar, than seal it with some sort of paint sealer.

Of course I am most excited to shop for fabric! I am kind of all over the place with what I want, so I'll share some of my top choices later this week.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get a new seat cut, let me know!

Thanks and I hope you have a great Monday!

{I party with these blogs!}

1 comment:

  1. After cleaning the seat, spray it with rustoleum primer. Let dry and then spray a few more times. For real nasty stuff I often spray with odoban which is available at Walmart and Home Depot. It kills 99.9% of all germs. Feel free to email me since I fix furniture for a living. Obviously let dry before spraying primer.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs